Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant peregrine falcons and vermin control  (Read 1248 times)

Lightfoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant peregrine falcons and vermin control
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:51:30 am »

The Elven caravan came along with an interesting delivery: giant peregrine falcons. A breeding pair, no less. I'm thinking of going for a bit of big time breeding.

Now, I know that regular peregrine falcons are good for vermin control. Some would say better than cats. Are the giant ones just as good? I understand that giant creatures largely copy the creature tags of their regular sized counterparts and while digging around in the raws, I couldn't find anything in the giant peregrine falcons that removed the [DIVE_HUNTS_VERMIN] tag. Because giant peregrine falcons would be wonderful. If my dwarfs end up adopting them as pets, they'll be able to provide a lot more protection than cats or regular sized peregrine falcons. If they can combine that protection with vermin control, that would be wonderful. I could even phase out cats.

Glitchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant peregrine falcons and vermin control
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:21:39 am »

To my knowledge the 'giant' versions of each creature simply dictate the size and mass. They have the same AI as their smaller cousins. It should be as good as a normal peregrine falcon at catching vermin. Though when it comes to defense, I think the new 42.05 changed things so that combat behaves differently as in size does not add any combat modifiers, making larger creatures effectively more useless at killing things. Pet combat isn't as good as it used to be.

Lightfoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 05:03:20 pm »

To my knowledge the 'giant' versions of each creature simply dictate the size and mass. They have the same AI as their smaller cousins. It should be as good as a normal peregrine falcon at catching vermin.

I thought that would be the case. That's nice. I love the idea of giant birds doing their thing around my fortress.

Though when it comes to defense, I think the new 42.05 changed things so that combat behaves differently as in size does not add any combat modifiers, making larger creatures effectively more useless at killing things. Pet combat isn't as good as it used to be.

I don't think that's the case. I just put 25 giant peregrine falcons against 25 regular peregrine falcons in the object testing arena. The giant ones completely massacred the regular ones and only suffered a few cuts and bruises. Same story when I put 25 giant elephants up against 25 regular elephants.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:18:12 pm »

To my knowledge the 'giant' versions of each creature simply dictate the size and mass. They have the same AI as their smaller cousins. It should be as good as a normal peregrine falcon at catching vermin. Though when it comes to defense, I think the new 42.05 changed things so that combat behaves differently as in size does not add any combat modifiers, making larger creatures effectively more useless at killing things. Pet combat isn't as good as it used to be.

99% positive that being gigantic is still a good thing, since i'm pretty sure even a dwarf vampire can't punch a goblin hard enough to collapse his chest in one punch consistently.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:23:24 pm »

Size is still used in combat calculations, I think there was a change to the pulping mechanic a bit as well as the strange push attacks certain large creatures possessed. They're not as blatantly powerful, but a bite from a giant dingo is still going to do a lot more damage than a bite from a normal dingo.