Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get iron and items from goblins encased in ice?  (Read 1061 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
How to get iron and items from goblins encased in ice?
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:07:48 pm »

I have a freezing embark and I'm planning to make a trap which would expose goblins immersed in water to the cold air. This would turn all the blocks with water level of 2/7 or more into ice blocks and the goblins in it would die.

The site appears to be a permafrost site, water never melts. Will we be able to obtain the goblins' iron when we just mine the ice block where they died?

The wiki says:
The ice wall must be melted or mined in order to regain the items/corpses. Note that due to a bug items that are in walls that melt will still be there, but will be invisible and unviewable except through the stocks screen. These items can be recovered if the tile ever becomes accessible again (through mining after the tile refreezes or by draining the water).

Does this mean that before mining the iceblock with the goblin, it has to melt?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: How to get iron and items from goblins encased in ice?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:34:27 pm »

No, I'm pretty sure you can just mine the goblinite right out of the ice, no melting nessisary.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »

I think what the wiki is saying is that if the ice melts, the items will be there, but invisible (actually, I think the correct term is hidden).
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 05:37:41 pm »

I have some experience with building freezing traps. What has already been said is the case: you need to mine the ice if you want the contained items. If you want some tips my detailed explanation of the machine might help, there are a couple of bugs and things I failed to consider with my earlier designs which I mention there.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:05:52 pm »

No, I'm pretty sure you can just mine the goblinite right out of the ice, no melting nessisary.

I recall when I embarked near the shore, dwarves usually drowned themselves when the sea unfroze in spring, and I had to wait until next winter to dig their corpse out.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 06:06:54 pm »

I have some experience with building freezing traps. What has already been said is the case: you need to mine the ice if you want the contained items. If you want some tips my detailed explanation of the machine might help, there are a couple of bugs and things I failed to consider with my earlier designs which I mention there.

Thanks, your trap looks really dwarfy. Did you build it in a freezing volcano embark or did you pump all the necessary magma all the way from below? I have no volcano there, it looks to me as a ton of work, I think I could do easier with some well-placed weapon traps and a dozen of well-trained squads.

In any case, my fortress is currently at the brink of extinction. In the first Autum a Wereass has killed everybody except for two children. They survived the winter and now in the next spring a migrant wave finally arrived. So the fortress lives on, but is now set back by a year, all crops withered, ... well there is still hope.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 06:53:45 pm »

This was back in 0.28 (40d in the common parlance) so no magma sea, or wereasses. After many, many world gens without glacier volcanoes, and as I just wanted to build my prototype, I hacked some magma in (no other cheating besides). Funnily enough I tend to prefer using dwarven warriors to megatraps in my legit forts, more drama.

Sounds like you are almost having FUN.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands