Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Ideas  (Read 849 times)

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Ideas
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:00:45 pm »

Ive been playing a 9yr above ground fort and I think its time to move on to something else. I dont want to abandon and I have a few questions.

• If I retire will the fortress still "run" on its own. Im assuming they wont continue to farm and make food but will my dwarves still be there living there lives?
  • If I reclaim, everything will be like it was? (nicknames, buildings, nobles, etc.?)
  • I cant seem to find the wikipage for fortress ideas, the page I got the idea from was the "spartan 300" or some such if anyone knows what Im talking about a link would be appreciated, thanks
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:02 pm »

If you need something different, try a biome that you usually stay the hell away from.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:10:00 pm »

There're a lot specific things that are affected. The wiki sums it up better than I could, here. (It mentions some of the info might be dated, I can't speak to that I'm afraid)

I couldn't find a reference to Spartan 300, but the megaprojects page is a great place to get inspiration from: megaprojects

[e]cochramd's advice is good. A few years ago I was getting bored and had a few, short lived admittedly, evil embarks. Plenty of fun there. Lately I've been a big volcano kick which I can't recommend enough. It's about the most dwarfy environment I can imagine, what with my king's chambers being a giant tower suspended over the volcano's mouth.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:13:40 pm by smithist »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:10:43 pm »

I once found an embark that contained joyous forests, savage savannahs, and a reanimating volcano.

That was the best embark.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:37:49 pm »

I've been trying to find this page for a week and I couldnt think of the word "challenge".. any how I found the page where I get a lot of my embark ideas, current is "THIS! IS! SPARTAAAA!" which is pretty fun if anyone is interested.

I appreciate the help and may take your advice on a different biome. Normally go for heavily/moderate forested areas but with dwarves getting stuck in trees (15ish deaths, just from dehydrating in a tree) I may go for something else. Any ideas where to get giant varieties of animals? Is it just any biome that is savage?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Challenges
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 03:32:38 am »

Giant versions of creatures appear only in savage biomes, and the type of giant creatures are determined by the biome itself (basically, you can get giant variants of the creatures that normally exist in that biome if it's savage).