Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Age of the Dragon  (Read 1547 times)

Argus_Mccray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of the Dragon
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:59:40 am »

I got a notification in game that the world had entered the Age of the Dragon. The wiki entry for the calendar is not quite clear as to what this means. Does this mean that a Dragon is the only megabeast left, or that there are dragons as the dominant power in the world? Or is it something else entirely?

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: Age of the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 12:21:27 pm »

IIRC, it means you've got one specific dragon left as your only megabeast.

Unless you've modded a dragon civilization, in which case it might be that they're the only major power in the world. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:45:55 pm »

It means a dragon has killed a signifigant percentage of the population. You can also get things like "The Age of the Dragon and Titan," meaning both a dragon and titan have killed a lot of stuff. "The Age of the Triad" means the same thing, but with three megabeasts. There's also the "Age of Extinction", where every civ is dead, and the "Age of Emptyiness", where everything in the world is dead.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Blue McRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:32:47 pm »

I'd like to see more work done with ages. It seems like my worlds never get out of the Age of Myth. This is a little surprising since I dial up megabeasts to "very high", but I also have never run world gen for more than 600 years.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 03:49:21 pm »

I'd like to see more work done with ages. It seems like my worlds never get out of the Age of Myth. This is a little surprising since I dial up megabeasts to "very high", but I also have never run world gen for more than 600 years.

Why is that surprising? The age of myth is when there is a high megabeast population - you're increasing their numbers and not letting history run long enough for them to get killed off. You should be in the age of myth, it's working as intended.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:29:17 pm »

i have  world that is in 'the gobbo age' huh?

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:20:23 pm »

i have  world that is in 'the gobbo age' huh?

The most populous race in your world is goblins and there are no powers left alive.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:23:11 pm by Man In Zero G »
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:25:15 pm »

If you want rid of semi/mega beasts then dial caves down really low. I like worlds with lots of megabeasts and I've found that lots of caves keep them safe for a long time.