Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flight pathing in Fortress Mode  (Read 482 times)

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flight pathing in Fortress Mode
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:46 am »

I'm making a creature for Fortress Mode that uses wings, and therefore will likely be flying to and fro.  I recall from a few major versions back that flight pathing had a few issues, but I was wondering if any of them are particularly gamebreaking in 42.xx.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flight pathing in Fortress Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:24:53 am »

IIRC, there were two major issues, neither of which were severly game breaking.

1. Creatures will only fly somewhere if a walking path exists to that location.  They won't necessarily take the walking path, since a flying path will probably be faster, but it still has to exist.

2. If a job is canceled while a flying creature is in a tree or on a roof, they may get stuck in the tree/roof or leave the item they were hauling in it.  The former part was fixed by the addition of climbing, but I think the latter still exists.  If it's in a tree, you can get the item back by chopping the tree down.  On a roof, you'll need to build a path to it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Flight pathing in Fortress Mode
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 12:09:02 am »

It was not fixed by climbing. It's still a problem. In fact, it's absolutely horrible. I would not recommend allowing flying for creatures, there are zero gameplay features that it adds and so many additional problems.