Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Helmet impairment! Can we do it?  (Read 614 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Helmet impairment! Can we do it?
« on: March 12, 2016, 02:24:27 am »

Ok, so I have in the last few days re-balanced and replaced much of the armor in my arms and armor mod. I solved some issues and generally I'm fairly happy about the result, but...

The helmets don't make sense the way I have them, or at least not as much as I would like. Historically helmet design was always a trade-off between protection, and the ability to see and breathe properly. The ability to breathe, move and see well was important enough for people to risk taking an arrow to the face, but in DF such impairments don't really exist until armor become really, really heavy and slows down the user.

So I was wondering, is there any way I can use DFhack to reduce things like sight range, observation skills and whatnot depending on what items are being worn?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet impairment! Can we do it?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 02:41:14 am »

You could use item-trigger to make helmets reduce skills and attributes

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 06:34:33 am »

Or you could do some even more crazy stuff with attack accuracy.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 07:04:25 am »

Hmm that would do just fine, if there is also a way to reduce parrying independently of weapon skill it would be perfect.

Adding 'muck around with DFhack scripts until they make sense' to the list of things to do!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!