Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spawning environments  (Read 1193 times)

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spawning environments
« on: March 09, 2007, 12:02:00 am »

I've recently created a new world but I'm playing my old one due to awesome region names and the sheer knowledge that it's the first world I ever made.

That said, I want to play a map with some chest hair on it, but not too much. What region combos have been known to spawn elephants? I'm playing on a warm, untamed wilds area, expecting elephants, and all I'm getting are musk oxen and things called hoary marmots. I'd like to know which combos are best known to spawn elephants please, and the wiki didn't help much, sadly.

I finally found a tropical forest, but unfortunately I made a fort there, one of my earliest forts. Is there any way I can delete the fort from the site? Also, the layout I was building it on sucked, so I don't want to reclaim it.

[ March 09, 2007: Message edited by: BoltsFogs ]

he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spawning environments
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

I have no idea why people think elephants are linked to warm maps... They're linked to tropical ones; the temperature has little to do with it.

Looking in the object folder- elephants appear on any tropical forest and tropical shrublands.

Additionally, Elephants are not predatory animals. It doesn't matter if the map is calm; they'll still show up, though in smaller numbers.

If you just want a more difficult map to play on, try any of the good or evil maps. On good maps there are huge herds of unicorns- and unicorns are absolutely deadly (though they aren't useful in any way, as you can't tame or eat them... I think). On evil maps you might have one of many really deadly evil critters- Harpies, ogres, werewolves, etc. Either that or you have undead normal animals- these are far more aggressive and deadly than their living counterparts...

As for replaying sites that have been abandoned... It does happen sometimes that you can reselect an abandoned site for a new fortress... But I have no idea under what circumstances this works... I know I have a world with two abandoned fortresses, and I can select one of the sites for a new fortress, but not the other...

If you really want, you could reclaim, lock the doors to the old fortress and start a new one to the north/south...

Also, I can't understand this one-world mentality... My latest fortress is set in World 81, and my save folder is 1.5 gigs... Really, I should probably clean that up...

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>As for replaying sites that have been abandoned... It does happen sometimes that you can reselect an abandoned site for a new fortress... But I have no idea under what circumstances this works... I know I have a world with two abandoned fortresses, and I can select one of the sites for a new fortress, but not the other...</STRONG>

Are you sure its not just another place with similar name and attributes?
Also, if you are sure, could it be because one was lost due to digging out the Admantium? (And possibly kicking demonic ass)
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »

Gasp! You're right! It was one of those huge mountain ranges with sparse settlement sites- and it had two identical valleys on one side! I was actually taking a screenshot to prove they were the same, and only realized something was off after looking at it for a while...

My bad!

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

I think I've been pretty convinced in the past that if you say "start a new fortress" and actually don't even dig once into the ground, you are able to build on that same site as if you're building a new fortress. nothing to back this up though.

Darwithe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 08:27:00 am »

quote:
On good maps there are huge herds of unicorns- and unicorns are absolutely deadly (though they aren't useful in any way, as you can't tame or eat them... I think)  

Actually you can butcher unicorns, it is just a lot more work than it is worth because they can't be slaughtered.

In order to butcher a unicorn you need to either trap and kill it inside the fort or have 'haul outside refuse' on. Then you need a refuse pile that accepts corpses in the same room as the butcher workshop. (The code dosn't seem to check any farther than the confines of the room, although I have never tested more than about 6 spaces away in the same room or less than about 6 spaces in a different room so it may be a pure distance thing)

Once the corpse is in range of the butcher workshop it should automatically queue up a butcher job. This method has worked on every [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] animal I've tried it with. (Although I would like to test with trolls and frogmen and such to try to better isolate how it determines what is an animal...)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 02:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Darwithe:
<STRONG>Once the corpse is in range of the butcher workshop it should automatically queue up a butcher job. This method has worked on every [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] animal I've tried it with. (Although I would like to test with trolls and frogmen and such to try to better isolate how it determines what is an animal...)</STRONG>

Hm? I've never heard anything about the range of a butcher's shop...

I've been given to believe that BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD means that you can only slaughter them when they're tame- for example dogs and cats are BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD... I don't think you can tame Unicorns... they do have the MOUNT tag, but I was under the impression that they needed the PET tag...

Admittedly I've never verified this experimentally myself, but it does fit with what I've observed...

Darwithe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

quote:

I've been given to believe that BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD means that you can only slaughter them when they're tame- for example dogs and cats are BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD... I don't think you can tame Unicorns... they do have the MOUNT tag, but I was under the impression that they needed the PET tag...  

Lol, this is what I get for not double checking my creature files more completely before posting: I forgot that I removed BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD from unicorns back when I was working on an evil playable civ and added it to a bunch of other animals that I had butchered that way in the past, like wolves and jaguars. Just ran a quick test with default DF and you're right, BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD is actually the code I was looking for to determine what isn't an animal, yay for elf burgers(hopefully).

The range problem is an issue with making it a sealed room I think, (IE: Add a door to all the entrances to the butcher's workshop and it doesn't seem to look for corpses outside that room) had a little epiphany while doing that quick test: if you place the butcher's workshop outside it solves every problem I've ever had with it.

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 02:26:00 am »

Thanks for the info guys, I just have that one world mentality because of it being particularly special, it being my very first created world you know? Orid Kajeth, The Universe Of Griffons. Visit scenic regions like The Stupid Gross Forest and The Sunny Awe-Inspiring Dunes of Ransacking.

I really do have two regions named those, and I have the screenshots to prove it if you ever want to see 'em!

he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.