Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So besiegers ever leave?  (Read 1336 times)

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So besiegers ever leave?
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:24:00 am »

I've got a rather large human army (114 soliers) camping out at my fortress. With a lava-filled moat and drawbridge, they can't get in, but we also can't get out. Which is vexxing since I only have one anvil, and it's outside. The humans have been camped out for almost a whole year now, including over the winter, and I'm wondering...

At what point will the human siege break, if ever?

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: So besiegers ever leave?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 08:57:00 am »

That is basic idea of sieges. Wait till fort must surrender or make futile assault to open grounds.

[ March 05, 2007: Message edited by: Baneslave ]

[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 09:03:00 am »

But the point is, I'm self-sufficient inside the mountain. I've got food and protection from the elements. And lots of work to keep my citizens happy.  They're out there camped in the snow, in tents, living off prepared food brought in by wagon, and all they do is sit and stare at the cliff. Nothing is being accomplished.  My question was whether the game ever acknowledges futility and makes the siege goes away. I don't have any cataclysmic offense set up yet, but I'll install a lava-spewer if I must.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »

They will eventually leave, yes.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 01:23:00 am »

From my basic understanding of toady's designing for sieges is that Siegers only move forward if they can directly walk up to a dwarf (through open unforbidden doors) and touch them with their sword. They consider moats to be walls and they see no way of entering if it the moat is filled.

What i do with goblin siegers is i lure them close in, and then i pull the lever, and they get caught in the magma, run away, and regroup. Then i pull it again letting the magma recede, giving goblins a false sense of security and they make another attempt - and i pull the lever again and so forth. I imagine human siegers probably aren't much more tactical, so you could try this, but be very careful how long you let the magma recede or the humans will gain too much ground and get inside and unless you have 114+ trained soldiers ready, it could be bloody.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

If you have wood, have some fun and build a few catapults and aim them outside. Nothing like nailing a few stationary targets who decided to have a cookout outside your fort.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 01:37:00 am »

Or when you have the time, build a moat that connects to the very most farthest outside spaces of the map, when they come, let them get inside, and trap them inside with lava. They won't ever escape and it will eventually make them go insane and theyll start killing themselves. A most enjoyable idea... though i've never warred humans so i have never been able to test it.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 03:04:00 am »

>> If you have wood, have some fun and build a few catapults and aim them outside. <<

Yes, I plan to do this in the future. However, you need to have a 1-wide wall of "good" stone in order to smooth and fortify it.  And I never cleaned the outside the mountain to "good" stone, so I can't add fortifications from the inside.  :P

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Momaw:
<STRONG>>> If you have wood, have some fun and build a few catapults and aim them outside. <<

Yes, I plan to do this in the future. However, you need to have a 1-wide wall of "good" stone in order to smooth and fortify it.  And I never cleaned the outside the mountain to "good" stone, so I can't add fortifications from the inside.  :P</STRONG>

You don't need fortifications, not if you have a moat. Just flood the moat, build the catapult a reasonable distance away (so you can't get shot by archers or have them scare your catapult operator into retreating), and shoot over it.

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

Jesus. 114 humans? What did you do to make them angry, make totems out of their mayors or something?
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

quote:
make totems out of their mayors or something?

got to try that some time.....
....and to make it even more ironic, send it as tribute to their next leader....

(i know at the moment you cant kill their mayor in DF mode)

[edit]

Idea, create a fortress near a human settlement then mine a bit and abandon, go in adventurer mode and kill their mayor. Haul his body to the fortress then succumb to starvation.
Reclaim the fortress and his rotted body will be waiting for you at the doorway, just ready to be made into crafts

[ March 09, 2007: Message edited by: 4bh0r53n ]

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

Hahaha, brilliant!

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

Well, you can't make crafts out of dwarf bone, can you make crafts out of human bone?

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akael:
<STRONG>Well, you can't make crafts out of dwarf bone, can you make crafts out of human bone?</STRONG>

Yes, yes you can.  I've had numerous guards die to elephants.  When will they learn.  When they do pass on, I melt down the armor, turn their weapons into traps, and then make crafts out of their bones to sell back to the humans next time they come.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.