Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Free Speech - The Thread  (Read 4560 times)

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free Speech - The Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2016, 07:19:56 pm »

Well, yeah. Here's a rather good example:

Teacher for a middle school, in an attempt to broaden the students' opinion about the world, shows a video to the students that reflects particularly liberal opinions. The students tell their particularly conservative parents, which leads to the teacher getting fired. Is that censorship? If not, would it have been censorship if the school forbade him in showing the video in the first place?

Is being compelled to make a lesson plan forced censorship?  After all, with a lesson plan you are not free to go off and blast alternative information all over the room.  That must be censorship.
Arguing for balanced viewpoints when teaching children is not advocating for censorship.  To think such things is ridiculous.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2016, 07:20:44 pm »

That's not the case at all and we both know it.

So the terms of the debate you are insisting on are that we accept that your undefined standard is axiomatically correct from the start.

Rather ironic I think.

Some things are so obvious as to be self-evident.  The fact that you appear unable to see this speaks volumes about you, and explains quite a lot about where your ideals come from.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2016, 07:22:16 pm »

Dude? Quit it with the personal attacks.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2016, 07:23:56 pm »

You know, calm and cool and all that.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2016, 07:24:40 pm »

Well, yeah. Here's a rather good example:

Teacher for a middle school, in an attempt to broaden the students' opinion about the world, shows a video to the students that reflects particularly liberal opinions. The students tell their particularly conservative parents, which leads to the teacher getting fired. Is that censorship? If not, would it have been censorship if the school forbade him in showing the video in the first place?

This is censorship on the parts of the parents and the school, in both situations listed.

I'd say the teacher should've framed it (or bounded it) as being a viewpoint liberal people share and then maybe compared it to a conservative viewpoint. That would've been a good way to broaden the students' minds, as they are getting the idea that people have a lot of differing viewpoints.

If you present one viewpoint as the overriding and only one, then that is a different matter. If the teacher had said, "This is the only viewpoint you should ever believe in and I refuse to show anything else" then they are a censor.

Freedom of speech is a concept of guidelines, not set rules or fundamental rights.

So the terms of the debate you are insisting on are that we accept that your undefined standard is axiomatically correct from the start.

Rather ironic I think.

Not at all, but you're welcome to keep eroding your own debate foundations as much as you like.

The reality of it is that debate is not only to sharpen your own viewpoints but also to convince others. Would you say you are doing that?

Some things are so obvious as to be self-evident.  The fact that you appear unable to see this speaks volumes about you, and explains quite a lot about where your ideals come from.

Bort, unrustle your jimmies.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2016, 07:25:20 pm »

The fact that you appear unable to see this speaks volumes about you, and explains quite a lot about where your ideals come from.

Oh it's not so much a matter of ideals as effort.  One isn't born with the ability to think critically and apply skepticism.  Like everything else it's a skill that you have to hone over time.  And sadly I'm nowhere near as good at it as you seem to think.  Every day I'm confronted with old assumptions of mine that I had not been skeptical enough towards.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2016, 07:25:48 pm »

Dude? Quit it with the personal attacks.

Is it now a personal attack to strongly point out the ridiculousness of a supposedly thought-out argument?
Participation medal, anyone?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 07:26:05 pm »

I think we are all making a lot of personal judgements based off rather small opinion differences, and we should all amplify our relaxed states. Assume your opponent is worse than Hitler, and accept that this does not affect whether their opinion is or not; because it is, and is where discussion lies. We then move on from opinions to supporting arguments, reasoned with logic and shitposting bants, not quarreling and... Arguing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]