Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disable the sheriff  (Read 821 times)

Andrej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disable the sheriff
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »

I would like to disable the sheriff (hurt him until he is red). My Idea is to make a nobles quarter next to a zoo with some dangerous animal(s) in it and a locked door separating th e two. How I assign the room to the sheriff (or other), lock him in and open the door to the zoo. When he is hurt enough I send in the guards. Now he will be in bed and helpless for a long time.

My problem I have never built a zoo and don't know if this will work. Anyone have any ideas?

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disable the sheriff
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

Sounds very tricky, getting him hurt just enough but not so much that he dies. Better have the guards REALLY close by, separated by a wall of floodgates, with a dwarf locked in the lever-control room to drop those gates before the sheriff can be finished off.

As for getting the sheriff to a specific point, that is a lot easier. Just build a lever, assign the sheriff to it in its "P"rofile (I'm assuming you have the manager, since you have the sheriff), and set an order to pull it. The sheriff will come running if not otherwise occupied and no-one else will touch it.

The lever could in fact be keyed to the cage that holds your dangerous animal of choice. That'd release the critter and let it attack the sheriff. Just be careful with the backup.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

Alternatively, you could make a 7x7 room with a single support pillar and a lever tied to it. If you are lucky, he will be injured but not killed. If you are unlucky, you will either kill him or not injure him enough. If you killed him you can try again with your next sheriff, whereas if he isn't injured enough you can just rebuild the collapse room and try again with him.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

Check out what Sankis on the SA forums did over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2326796&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

That's exactly what you're looking for, I think.

Andrej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:37:00 am »

Thanks all for the advice. And yes, Fieari, thats what I had in mind, although I never thought I would need an elephant.

Has anyone else thought of a way to inhibit the executioner without killing him?

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

Goblin Elite Hammerer?

Or a series of cages in the room, just keep adding critters untill you get enough to damage him. If they're all the same type of critter then have the cages hold incrementing numbers of critters (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and release each successively larger number untill you get the desired effect.

Edit: Lock him in with a possessed dwarf that's going to go insane. Excellent chance to solve at least one of two problems, reasonable chance to solve both problems.

[ February 19, 2007: Message edited by: Telok ]