Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preventing destruction of floodgates...  (Read 907 times)

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preventing destruction of floodgates...
« on: February 16, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

Floodgates getting pulverized by river and magma critters is extremely annoying. And potentially catastrophic, depending what they destroy...

So the question is, are river and magma creatures smart enough to follow channels?  In other words, will a layout like this keep floodgates from being ruined?

code:

###########~~~~
###########~~~~
_____X~~~~~~~~~
###########~~~~
###########~~~~

Or, failing that, what about creating a small barracks right next to the gate?

code:

##########~~~~
##########~~~~
__X~~~~~~~~~~~
###....###~~~~
###..8=###~~~~
###.######~~~~

Dogs on chains?

code:

##########~~~~
###.S.####~~~~
__X|~~~~~~~~~~
###.S.####~~~~
###.######~~~~

Discuss

[ February 16, 2007: Message edited by: Momaw ]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing destruction of floodgates...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 08:40:00 am »

Well, I don't know if magma men can walk through channels, but the miner who digs that channel is probably toast...

I've never had this issue, simply because I always leave the floodgate next to the magma down, and have another floodgate wherever I want to use magma (near the entrance usually), the magma man isn't going to walk all the way through my fortress without being stopped by something.

Though come to think of it, if magma men can walk through lava, nothing would stop them from walking all the way though my fortress... hmm...

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 09:19:00 am »

IIRC river creatures can travel through water channels and magma creatures can travel through magma channels.
If they can attack the floodgate while underwater/undermagma (I'm guessing they can), then no setup is immune.
Except maybe if you created a small junction between the water channel leading water to the floodgate and a magma filled channel that will create steam and kill every water creature that goes through, I'm not sure what will happen to magma creatures though.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

code:

###########...~~
###########^..~~
____X~^^^~~][~~~
#####~^^^~#^..~~
#####~~~~~#...~~
###########...~~

Or this if you want to stick to traps. I normally ad an access bridge to the enclosed trap island for trap cleaning.

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Silveron:
<STRONG>
code:

###########...~~
###########^..~~
____X~^^^~~][~~~
#####~^^^~#^..~~
#####~~~~~#...~~
###########...~~

Or this if you want to stick to traps. I normally ad an access bridge to the enclosed trap island for trap cleaning.</STRONG>

This is what I use to keep the floodgate destroyers away. Because the enemy AI always seems to make a beeline for what they can destroy, they always run headlong into the traps, keeping the floodgates safe from destruction. Highly recommended if you don't want a broken floodgate ruining your fort.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »

You can also install backup floodgate(s):

code:

###########...~~
###########...~~
___X____X____X~~
..._...._.....~~
###########...~~
###########...~~

That way you can put one floodgate right next to the magma to keep your miner from burning up when the channel connects directly to the magma.

You do have to line the subsequent floogates with a channel on all sides so they don't flood magma, instead of feeding it into the next channel segment.

If you keep them from all being in a straight line and add some traps, you're likely to catch "beeliners":

code:

###########...~~
###########^^^~~
___X_^^^_____X~~
^^^_____X_^^^^~~
###########...~~
###########...~~

[ February 18, 2007: Message edited by: Maximus ]