Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jealousy and Noble Room Value  (Read 1774 times)

Crab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jealousy and Noble Room Value
« on: January 18, 2016, 08:23:30 am »

To avoid jealousy, do my nobles need to have a higher value room or a higher ranked room? As in, do I need it so that only my Monarch has Royal, only my Dukes Grand, only my Counts Great, only my Barons Fine, only my General Decent, and then everyone else merely ordinary? Or is it acceptable for everyone to have Royal rooms so long as the Monarch's is "super-royal", so to speak?

Secondly, if the first is true and not the second, isn't it impossible not to make at least some nobles jealous? The following dwarf ranks get jealous:

1. Monarch
2. Duke
3. Count
4. Baron
5. General
6. Outpost Liaison

But Outpost Liaison requires Great Rooms, yet ranks lower with the PRECEDENCE token than Barons, who only require Decent rooms - this doesn't seem to make any sense?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jealousy and Noble Room Value
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:27:04 am »

Don't invite the king over and you'll never have to worry about his entourage. Worst case scenario is that your civilization's king dies and one of your dwarfs is made king, in which case you only need to remember King>Baron/Count/Duke>Mayor.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:48:21 am »

Is jealousy even a thing in DF?  I know Nobles are upset if they don't have the required standards, but I've never known them to become upset if some other Dwarf has the same or better.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:05:35 am »

Is jealousy even a thing in DF?  I know Nobles are upset if they don't have the required standards, but I've never known them to become upset if some other Dwarf has the same or better.

Urist McNoble was appalled by Urist McMiner's burial arrangements. (or something along those lines)

I'm not sure if rooms have such a standard, but I know for a fact that noble-dwarves can and will get jealous if you give a non-noble a tomb that's somewhat fanciful. Doesn't matter if the pleb that gets the tomb killed 100 gobbos to save the fort.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:07:09 am by deknegt »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:17:10 am »

It's not room value that inspires jealousy (at least how it worked in previous versions). It's the item the room is designated from.

If you King has a bedroom designated from a +bed+, that is decorated by a few million's worth of artefact furniture, he'll still complain that a dwarf that sleeps in a bare unsmoothed 3x3 bedroom designated from a *bed* has a better bedroom. What was the thought again... thinking... Ah yes 'utterly traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping arrangement' I think it was.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Crab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 09:41:58 am »

It's not room value that inspires jealousy (at least how it worked in previous versions). It's the item the room is designated from.

If you King has a bedroom designated from a +bed+, that is decorated by a few million's worth of artefact furniture, he'll still complain that a dwarf that sleeps in a bare unsmoothed 3x3 bedroom designated from a *bed* has a better bedroom. What was the thought again... thinking... Ah yes 'utterly traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping arrangement' I think it was.

Do you have the thread this !!SCIENCE!! originated from? Because it doesn't match what I appear to be seeing...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:57:50 am »

Are you sure this is still a thing?
There's a lot on the wiki that used to be true but hasn't been since 40.01 was released. Never seen it personally, but that could just be coincidence as my nobles' rooms tend to get better as rank increases anyhow.

Does the Captain of the Guard get jealous too?

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 04:16:53 pm »

The moment that first crystallized the beauty of DF for me was the first time I got upgraded to a duchy. A little while after the Duchess arrived, I looked at her thoughts. I think this is verbatim: "[Duchess McUrist] was recently utterly traumatized after witnessing the pretentious living arrangements of a lesser."

I mean, that's freakin' awesome, right,? If not jealousy, envy for sure.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 05:09:43 pm »

It's been a thing for nearly 10 years - version 0.21.93.19a, the very first version of Dwarf Fortress ever released, contained the text strings for room pretension thoughts, and I know for a fact that 0.34.11 still had them. I'm not sure if they're still in version 0.40/0.42, but I would be quite surprised if they weren't...

Does the Captain of the Guard get jealous too?
No, because that position does not have [SLEEP_PRETENSION].
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.