Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tundra civilization not genning?  (Read 1471 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tundra civilization not genning?
« on: January 14, 2016, 02:19:25 pm »

I made a human civ meant to appear in the tundra but so far they wont appear when i start world gen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:47:52 pm by DizzyCrash »

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tundra civilization not genning?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 02:28:37 pm »

In the future put it in a spoilered code block:

Also:
1. Where are they spawning?
2. Are there any error messages in your error log?

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:47:35 pm »

In the future put it in a spoilered code block:

Also:
1. Where are they spawning?
2. Are there any error messages in your error log?

The only error is impoverished word collector, for what reason i cannot figure out but i highly doubt its impacting my civ placement.

As far as i can tell they are not spawning, another human civ is being placed but Its just in the grassland and not being put int he tundra.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 03:39:25 pm »

Does anyone? anyone at all know why this is happening?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 03:58:01 pm »

Is the entity in entity_default? If not, does the file it is in have the proper headers (example: the file is called entity_tundra (it must be called entity_<whatever>), the first line has to match the file name; the following must have [OBJECT:ENTITY])?

For ease of testing, delete all other entities.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 04:09:24 pm »

From that error message, I'm guessing it has something to do with the civ not having enough words to name its cities, people, etc.

I see you have two non-vanilla symbols called on, [SELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:NAME_ENTITY_DWARF] and [SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:HUMAN_TUNDRA]. Could you post the raws for these? My guess is that they don't have enough words in them for the game to name towns and hamlets.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:53:57 pm »

I just copy and pasted the Plains entity and changed the name to tundra and added the new civ naming tokens, they are just there to make it called the winter kingdom, it shouldnt stop it from being placed. they are in the base entity file.

these are from my language sym it causes the civ to be named this 100% of the time.

[SYMBOL:HUMAN_TUNDRA]
   [S_WORD:WINTER]

[SYMBOL:NAME_ENTITY_DWARF]
   [S_WORD:KINGDOM]

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 06:51:11 pm »

Is this just a mystery to the entire community? Can things just not place in tundras anymore?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 07:41:25 pm »

Ok, I think I have it. You have [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND] under the START_BIOME token, but that tag is for generating hillocks, like the dwarves - I'm pretty sure you can't use it unless your civ has CAVE_DETAILED as is default site type, and your builds cities. Just try excising that tag and see if it works.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 01:13:20 am »

Ok, I think I have it. You have [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND] under the START_BIOME token, but that tag is for generating hillocks, like the dwarves - I'm pretty sure you can't use it unless your civ has CAVE_DETAILED as is default site type, and your builds cities. Just try excising that tag and see if it works.

I have my goblins and desert humans with that tag and they work, it allows for a civ to expand beyond the borders of its biom, thats it.. it cant be the source.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 01:52:12 am »

Try [EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME]?

Also, you want to bump up the [BIOME_SUPPORT:TUNDRA] frequency a bit.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:51:03 am »

Well, I put this into my raws to test it. So far I've gotten it to gen twice. It does cause a lot more world rejections than normal, but apparently it can gen.

EDIT: removing those two SYMBOLS and replacing them with the human raws (NAME_ENTITY_KINGDOM) stops the "Impoverished Word Selector" error, but doesn't seem to affect the civ's ability to gen.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:55:08 am by Loam »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 11:17:54 am »

It might be that they simply can't survive on a tundra because there's not enough to eat/drink or something. Try replacing the race with something that doesnt need to eat or drink like goblins and see what happens.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 12:08:58 pm »

I think the problem is that the humans arent able to grow crops and there are no trees or water either, correct me on the tree part if im wrong as i have not embarked on a tundra for a long while.
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 09:23:13 pm »

I had an issue like this with one of my playable races.  The issue you're having, I believe, is like Cheesoburgor said, there are no above-ground crops in vanilla Dwarf Fortress that can be planted in freezing biomes, so the alternative is to either give them underground crops or create a set of, say, 2-3 plants that can be planted in freezing regions.  Hope that helps.