Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some things to remember next time  (Read 1388 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some things to remember next time
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:10:00 pm »

I have some important advice that can only be acquired through drastic mistakes that few people are willing to chance :

1. Don't F--- with a colossus

2. Don't F--- with the goblins that F---'ed the Colossus

3. Goblins Can Breath Underwater.

4. Dwarves Can Not Breath Underwater.

5. Rivers on the outside DO support a flood when it has been disconnected from the original cave river.

Learn well from my mistakes, for the 3 war veteran champions that drowned a dishonorable death have no second life to live.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some things to remember next time
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>3. Goblins Can Breath Underwater.

4. Dwarves Can Not Breath Underwater.

5. Rivers on the outside DO support a flood when it has been disconnected from the original cave river.</STRONG>

By these three I think I can guess what happened. Goblins can't actually breathe underwater, but a surface flood outside is supposed to be only knee-deep... In other words, as your dwarven halls filled up with water, drowning your dwarves, the goblins outside were wading about, just slightly wet.

Oh, and all hope is not lost. If you want to get rid of that perma-flood (and the goblins) there is but one way: lava.

[ February 11, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 09:58:00 pm »

Thanks but it got entirely filled up. Once i realized the horrible mistake i had made, i thought that was it, so out of curiosity i had all my dwarves activated, and stationed them in the already submerged areas of my base, flooding the rest of it as they opened the door. Ironically, some of the ancient cats i had that were wounded and unconcious got left outside and i guess they didn't drown in it.

leather coat

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

You want this on the blog? It's really good.
he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 01:34:00 am »

Sure what ever floats your boat. But nothing will ever fill the hole in my heart that Monom Dumat, one-eyed Champion Elite Marksdwarf left.

leather coat

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

That fine dwarf will be Dearly remembered, R.I.P., Monom Dumat. Blog'd.

[ February 12, 2007: Message edited by: Lord Blue ]

he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 04:51:00 am »

And for floods: dwarves WILL open doors to flooded areas if you don't lock them manually.

These stupid mother-**#$*# *$#*$ *$#*$ ##*$*...

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 06:34:00 am »

That really does look like a mother lode!  There's a whole bunch of metal ore and gold coins in between the walls. ;-)

The best way to prevent floodgate flooding is to build channels across various areas where you suspect flooding is a possibility.  For instance, I never build a floodgate farm without lining the door side of the farm with channels.  This not only prevents the flow of water beyond the channel, but also serves as a buffer zone in case someone tries to move stone away from the farm plot (which is ordinarily a frequent source of doors being left open in advance of a floodgate-based flooding -- your own fault if you don't plan ahead by building channels or designating mining stockpiles).

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

If you plan ahead, there are a couple tricks (bug exploits) to undoing a permaflood:

1) Remove incomplete "door constuction" job
Block off a small dead-end hallway with statues. After the statues are in place, uild a door behind it. The dwarves will never be able to reach the door to construct it, but the flood will reach it. Once the flood hits the unbuilt door, remove that building (i.e. cancel the construction). An unflood event will spread from the removed door.

2) Raise a drawbridge
This one requires a dwarf to pull a lever for a drawbridge that is already flooded. An unflood event will spread from the raised bridge. I'm not sure if the bridge has to be built over a water/muddy channel, or if a raisable bridge over dry land will work as well.

These exploits will probably be removed once Toady fixes the z-axis of water vs buildings, but then Toady will prolly fix perma-flooding, too.

qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 04:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>The best way to prevent floodgate flooding is to build channels across various areas where you suspect flooding is a possibility. </STRONG>

I did that before, actually, and it didn't seem to work so I've stopped.

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

Yes, right now it appears that if you build a bridge across dry land (not wet, not muddy), then the bridge will get flooded like any other building.
But if you first create a small channel, then bridge it, that bridge will be above the future flood waters.

These oddities will likely be addressed/fixed once Toady tackles the z-axis for real. Now, he's kludging together a pseudo-z-axis by having a uilt channel be turned into a "cave feature" (i.e. a wall) when it gets wet/muddy.

My thoughts are based on the wiki, and this experience:
I once built a huge underground farm/forest and built bridges between every support to avoid drowning dwarves if I accidently flooded the area for a long period of time. Only when I did flood the area for the next season, the bridges were flooded, too.

Next time, I'll try diggin small 1x1 channels between every support, then clear everyone out for my seasonal flooding. After that, I believe I'll be able to build bridges between every post so that the dwarves will be able to avoid drowning when I flood the area.

qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by krige:
<STRONG>

I did that before, actually, and it didn't seem to work so I've stopped.</STRONG>

It works only for floodgate flooding.  Natural floods happily flow over and out of channels, for whatever reason.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

Well its all good because im never trying that half baked plan again...

leather coat

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>

It works only for floodgate flooding.  Natural floods happily flow over and out of channels, for whatever reason.</STRONG>

Natural floods also like to flow out over lava, without generating steam.

[DEMONLORD]