Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Faster dwarves work less.  (Read 1418 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Faster dwarves work less.
« on: January 17, 2016, 04:52:39 am »

Did someone noticed that when you set "fastdwarf 1 0" in DFHack, they will move a lot faster BUT many dorfs will become idle more often and stay idle (have "no job") while there's full list of jobs for them are all available? (hauling is the most visible work i presume)
Setting it off ("fastdwarf 0 0") makes all of them do fill the working list and become working/hauling again.

It seems that DF allocates dorfs for next work in joblist every day or two, but not immediately after the current job is done (even with "workNow 1" set).

Now i'll do some research more deep with raws here:
APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_WALKING_GAITS:900:300:200:100:1900:2900 87+ kph
APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:300:200:100:1900:2900 87+ kph
APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:900:300:200:100:1900:2900 87+ kph
APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:900:300:200:100:1900:2900 87+ kph
APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:900:642:428:214:1900:2900 41 kph
Finis sanctificat media.

BNDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faster dwarves work less.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 07:11:35 pm »

It becomes more obvious with 'fastdwarf 2 0'.

If you designate a lot of hauling/dumping jobs, there will be quite a few idlers all the time. Also the managed job orders take forever to be filled into the workshops.

When dumping, turn off fastdwarf and suddenly, there will be at least 25% more busy dwarves. Lets say

100 dorf fortress
fastdwarf: 50 haulers
fastdwarf off: 60-70 haulers, if not more

Also esp. towards the end, only 5-10 items remain, dorfs become even less motivated to haul and such. I've had times where 5 gabbro were left untouched for 30 minutes, with 80 idlers waiting to do something. Every one in 5 minutes, one boulder was suddenly being dumped, the others ignored. Painfull.

The issue seems with the "fastworking" flag rather than the "fastmove". The game somewhere gets hung up when the jobs finish much too fast. So maybe an optimization would have been, give the player a lot more options, like superfast work, only faster move, only superfast move, and such.

fastdwarf 1 0 0 for example. fastdwarf "movespeed" "workspeed" "teleport" would have been cool.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:13:40 pm by BNDR »
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:29:56 pm »

It... Makes sense to me since the only time I notice them going idle is because they finished all their work super fast from having fastdwarf enabled.

I never notice them idling when they have things to haul *and* somewhere to haul it, while having no other jobs and not attending a party.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:31:28 pm by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:36:14 pm »

If your hauling stone or stuff remember to turn 'maximum wheelbarrows' to 0. Any other number will make only that number haul for that stockpile, while having a maximum of 0 wheelbarrows will make everyone who is idle haul (Assuming you haven't turned hauling off for them)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

BNDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:34:13 am »

Yes, wheelbarrows off, of course.

Another observation, it seems to depend on the amount and type of loot being DUMPED.

When they dump 200 worn clothes or vermin remains, the speed of hauling is very fast. Still, not every dwarf picks up a hauling job, some still idle.

I guess it must be because of pathfinding stuff, I always use small staircases so it may be bottlenecking as well.

But nonetheless, with FASTDWARF on, the dumping becomes very inconsistent. Bottleneck fortress layout or not, dwarves dont like fastdwarf mode it seems.

To not spark anymore discussions, don't get me wrong here, I'll say TL;DR and:

**Fastdwarf INDEED causes more idling despite the faster working and movement speeds.**