Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moria  (Read 1525 times)

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
Moria
« on: February 08, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

I had a fort just going perfectly, always had enough food, but on the 7th year my dwarves got too greedy......
....they dug on the far side of the magma looking for adamantine and reached a pit....
....out of a pit came a demon which then proceeded to butcher the entire stronghold in true moria fashion

:D

by the way, where do u find adamantine?

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moria
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

That's not even the Balrog.  That's a lesser demon that killed everyone.

When the Balrog shows up, you can't even reclaim, though you can try to best him 1-on-1 with an adventurer.  If you feel lucky, punk.

The adamantine is beyond the demon pits.  Past the adamantine is the big guy.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »

Past the smaller demon pits.

If the amount of adamantine (per tile) that's been dug on that map is greater then a random number between 0 and 99, at the end of each season, you'll get the "too deep" message. (yes, digging just one tile can end the game) This makes the fortress unreclaimable, and an ultra-demon will be put into your fortress when you play in adventure mode.

Basically, if you want to mine adamantine in it's totality, you're going to have to wait until a new season, dig out as much adamantine as possible before the end of the season, abandon the fortress, get into the fortress via reclaim, play for LESS THEN one season and abandon the fortress again, repeating the process. This is the ONLY way to stop the "Too Deep" message from occuring once the adamantine is found, because you never let the game do it's end-season calculation...

Hmm, i think i'll go suggest something about this now.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 11:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Past the smaller demon pits.

If the amount of adamantine (per tile) that's been dug on that map is greater then a random number between 0 and 99, at the end of each season, you'll get the "too deep" message. (yes, digging just one tile can end the game) This makes the fortress unreclaimable, and an ultra-demon will be put into your fortress when you play in adventure mode.

Basically, if you want to mine adamantine in it's totality, you're going to have to wait until a new season, dig out as much adamantine as possible before the end of the season, abandon the fortress, get into the fortress via reclaim, play for LESS THEN one season and abandon the fortress again, repeating the process. This is the ONLY way to stop the "Too Deep" message from occuring once the adamantine is found, because you never let the game do it's end-season calculation...

Hmm, i think i'll go suggest something about this now.</STRONG>

Something I just thought about. You could have your first fortress make a mining pick for every single dwarf there. When you get to the adamantine, designate ALL the adamantine. If you are lucky, you can mine it all out in time for your dwarves to abandon the site. (If not, that's fine too; it just might be nice to get some of your legendary dwarves back as migrants once Toady adds that in.) Create a new fortress someplace else, and instantly abandon it. Now, send an adventurer in to your old fortress, kill the Balrog if it got loose, and start transporting the adamantine ore to your new location. Reclaim your new fortress, and start the slow process of training legendary adamantine workers. With any luck, over the course of the years your fey mood dwarves will construct all the artifact adamantine weapons, armors, and floodgates you could ever want.

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

What so there's a cap on how much adamantine you can mine? Can you fight the balrog or does the game simply end?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

Currently, 99 is the most you can ever mine before the demon MUST appear (if you somehow passed all of the 'mined adamantium' checks)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

The game ends with a cryptic message, and you're dwarves don't get a chance to fight the demon. You can return to your fortress as an adventurer and try to take him on.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 07:28:00 pm »

Of course, it looks like things are about to change drastically, what with the new mountain maps....

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 11:44:00 am »

Ugh. That sucks. Well I guess I'll have to cancel the grand opening of the admantium goblet raffle.

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 11:59:00 am »

Ok, so can the game retroactivly end when a new calculation is made? Say I dig 30 and the next season the number is 25, will the game then end? Also if I go in in adventure mode, kill the demon, can I then reclaim?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

Yes.  If you mine just one unit of adamantium, then at any indeterminate point in the future your fortress may suddenly end.

Dunno about killing the demon.  I never was quite that stupid. ;-)

[ February 16, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

now i will get that demon:
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...