Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i mod the embark settings?  (Read 2046 times)

Sisyphean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do i mod the embark settings?
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:06:11 pm »

i was wondering if there were a way to make the starting party smaller and to remove the 5 point cap on skills.

my current fort is dying horrifically, daemons are running rampant through the halls and killing off the last few dwarfs who have found corners to hide in. there is a ray of light in the death and turmoil though, in my desperation to save the mighty fortress of Riversundered i had ordered the emergency seals be activated, thus trapping the daemons underground and preventing the scourge from running rampant through the world. i have three survivors and rather than continue with riversundered, id like to take my surviving miner fruit picker and butcher and start a new fort with only the alpacas, fruit and logs present above ground at riversundered.

so is it possible to mod the game to embark with only historical characters and less than 7?
if not, is it possible to remove the 5 point cap from starting skills and embark with only 3 dwarfs?

how would i go about doing this?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: How do i mod the embark settings?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 06:45:15 am »

You cant mod this, but you can add NATURAL_SKILL:X to people to give them skills at the very start, or use dfhack to add some skills. There was also a script to alter group size, but I'm not sure if it has been updated to the newest DF version.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: How do i mod the embark settings?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 05:11:05 pm »

so is it possible to mod the game to embark with only historical characters and less than 7?
if not, is it possible to remove the 5 point cap from starting skills and embark with only 3 dwarfs?

how would i go about doing this?

You can generally start with more than 7 dwarfs, using DFHack's startdwarf script.  (It's not working at the moment in 0.42.04, because a certain location in DF hasn't been found yet.)

However, it is not possible to start with less than 7 dwarfs.  If you try, the game crashes.

I have no idea how to coerce the game into embarking with historical characters, or how to force them to immigrate.  Frankly, I doubt it can be done.

DFHack's embark-skills script can grant extra skill points to your starting dwarves.  It does not remove the normal 5 point skill cap.

That same script can also forcibly set every skill to Proficient or Legendary.  It does not have the ability to set specific skill levels.  It does serve as an example.

Maybe something like (untested)
Code: [Select]
lua
scr.dwarf_info[scr.dwarf_cursor].skills[WEAVER] = df.skill_rating.Adept

So, overall, you can't really do exactly what you want.