Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Troglodytes nerfed?  (Read 1298 times)

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Troglodytes nerfed?
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:56:55 am »

I always remember troglodytes as those annoying underground creatures, lurking in caverns, posing a serious threat for underground farmers and the like but now it seems I dont even need any military to kill them they cant even hit my dwarves and get beaten down even by children if they try to. So did dwarves get stronger in hand to hand combat or have the trogs been really nerfed quite an amount?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Troglodytes nerfed?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:11:40 am »

Alcohol now makes dwarves more fearless so they're less likely to run around and more likely to gang up on those troglodites.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:57:38 am »

I remember in df2014 troglodytes despite being labelled as hostile were -never- attacking any dwarves while those same trogs were a threat in past versions (34.11 and earlier).

In 42.x i have seen a few trogs in my caverns and not a single one of them ever attacked any of my civilian (i don't use taverns, so they're no drunken civilians), but new to 42.x the trogs have been -always- running away from my civilians at any opportunity (in df2014 they just weren't moving).

So i guess the df2014 bug is still present in some way.

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 12:13:48 pm »

I remember in df2014 troglodytes despite being labelled as hostile were -never- attacking any dwarves while those same trogs were a threat in past versions (34.11 and earlier).

In 42.x i have seen a few trogs in my caverns and not a single one of them ever attacked any of my civilian (i don't use taverns, so they're no drunken civilians), but new to 42.x the trogs have been -always- running away from my civilians at any opportunity (in df2014 they just weren't moving).

they fight with my dwarves but dont stand a chance, sometimes they run into my fort.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:24:36 pm »

they fight with my dwarves but dont stand a chance, sometimes they run into my fort.

But who attacked first ?
Because in my fortress they never attack, the only times i see them fighting is when a civilians ran to attack them and cornered a trog (the other ones managed to run away).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 01:49:05 pm »

Alcohol now makes dwarves more fearless so they're less likely to run around and more likely to gang up on those troglodites.

That would explain why I lost six dwarves and two humans to a fire imp incident.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 02:28:47 pm »

From what i've witnessed firsthand, despite it not being technically a scientific observation, is that troglodytes since they carry a sentient [CAN_LEARN] & [SLOWLEARNER] tags retract in fear upon witnessing death or aggressive actions much like peasants in adventure mode or at-least carry greater intelligence than typical animals despite acting much like them.

In one of my forts upon breaching the caverns i killed some troggs to clear out a safe zone, (as of 42.x, specific build avoids my memory) a few stray troggs that had become separated from the cluster were quickly put down but after the initial battle some more troglodytes came closer then retracted in fear to run after coming within "visual range" of my warrior and freshly killed trogg. I never suffered another attack from that group since, because they were fearful despite being fully hostile and aggressive before.

Whether trogg aggression against fortress inhabitants is world-wide across the cavern population or locally for that embark is a malleable value remains to be seen by applied science and testing. Theoretically if it is world wide, you can train troglodytes to avoid your embarks therefore allowing your farmers to do work in peace.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 02:38:05 pm »

That could explain my observations of the permanently fleeing despite supposed being hostile trogs in my fort caverns, maybe they witnessed corpses of other caverns things that my dwarves destroyed (several forgotten beast got their last stands in my caverns) and it set their frightened emotion high.

I wonder if what seems to be a permanent fear of the dwarves i see my trogs having is really intended to be really permanent or if it is supposed to clear with time (as my fort is beyond 20 years old, it's not happening then as new trogs coming still fear any civilians they see).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 03:11:57 pm »

I wonder if what seems to be a permanent fear of the dwarves i see my trogs having is really intended to be really permanent or if it is supposed to clear with time (as my fort is beyond 20 years old, it's not happening then as new trogs coming still fear any civilians they see).

Those troggs are probably the same generation, or civilised information leaks out when the troggs leave for the caverns to all other troggs.

Subsequently if you contact-bred troggs (arranged marriage so to speak) perhaps it would be possible to create a neutral/friendly? Trogg to release back into the caverns to bolster the population and reset this.