Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are my tavern performers not using instruments?  (Read 1679 times)

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are my tavern performers not using instruments?
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:53:02 am »

I have several instruments in chests in my Tavern, yet nobody is using them. I'm on 42.03. Is this a bug, or am I simply doing something wrong?

They're just " simulating " instruments :_:

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my tavern performers not using instruments?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:04:11 am »

The instrument you have are not the right ones for the songs they are playing.

They'd rather "simulate" the instrument with shameworthy vocal performances instead of using an alternate instrument.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 04:16:09 am »

Or you're playing a version before this bug was fixed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 05:35:43 am »

I think .03 still has the bug where dwarves ONLY simulate instruments. It's fixed in .04, but you'll still see dwarves / goblins and humans simulating instruments, if the specific required instrument is not availabe.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:06:29 am »

Part of the problem is that there's a bug where dwarves compulsively move the same item around different coffers in the same location.  If you have hand held instruments, many of them will show they have a task assigned to them, so dwarves can't use them for music.

This doesn't happen with stationary instruments, but a certain song or dance requires a certain instrument, so you might not see it used anyway.

Over time if you have enough visitors show up in your tavern, I'd think you'd see dwarves learning new types of performances that might use those instruments, though.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:59:39 am »

Part of the problem is that there's a bug where dwarves compulsively move the same item around different coffers in the same location.  If you have hand held instruments, many of them will show they have a task assigned to them, so dwarves can't use them for music.

I didn't know about this one, it explains why I see all my books and scrolls being moved around constantly without being read.

Is it possible to use a stockpile instead of a chest for zones?
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 10:07:24 am »

I don't know if a performer just needs an instrument in the tavern or needs the instrument to be in a coffer.  I'm inclined to think it needs to be in a coffer, from what I've seen.