Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There is vomit everywhere.  (Read 8888 times)

branmuffincat

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me im a dwarf.
    • View Profile
There is vomit everywhere.
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:28:46 pm »

and I'm not sure why do dwarfs vomit all the bloody time now? and how do I clean it up since dwarves with cleaning labor don't seem to be doing much
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:01:18 pm by branmuffincat »

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There is vomit everywhere.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »

Are you dwarves either
a) Outside,
b) Drunk,
c) Drunk, Outside?

Also, cleaning is bugged, in ways I'm not entirely clear on.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

branmuffincat

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me im a dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:00:37 pm »

they are drunk and outside bunched up about 40 strong in a small meeting area

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:08:57 pm »

If your dwarves are not constantly drunk, the main reason they vomit is cave adaptation.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave_adaptation

That's the main reason on my forts i have my my military barrack outside (as you don't need a closed room , just build a weapon/armor rack and create a barrack zone from it).

This way once surface evil comes, the soldiers will not suffer from the constant vomitting their fellow dwarves will go through when they will come to pick up the dead gobs equipment and their corpses.

After a big battle with a couple of hundred of gob/troll/beak dogs dead, you can then have vast seas of vomit when all your idle dwarves come outside to move everything in stockpile or atom smashing zones.
Only way i saw those rivers of vomit disappearing was with long rains or snowstorms
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:10:48 pm by Robsoie »

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 03:10:21 pm »

Dwarves don't clean outside; or rather: dwarves don't clean light tiles.

Besides that, dwarves will vomit from being nauseated by the sun after being underground too long and from being drunken - mostly in the tavern. They vomit a lot. And they will spread that vomit my running around. They will also spill alcohol everywhere. Unless you enjoy green/brownish taverns, I'd build a tavern underground.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 06:56:56 pm »

i had vomit everywhere since starting th new version
first thing i did was shut down my tavern, that stopped most of it

second thing i did was i made a new tavern with a built in water cleaning system

its annoying that my featherwood floors are all brown now, but its better than vomit

i use featherwood because falling on it dosnt hurt as much as stone, i thought that might increase survivability of bar fights
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

HandofCreation0

• Bay Watcher
  • 3D Artist and Ca Calne Fan
    • View Profile
    • HandofCreation0's DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:14:49 pm »

Either my dwarves have been cleaning it up too quickly for me to notice (which I try to keep idlers to 0 at all times) or it just doesn't happen for me. The only vomit I see is either when my dwarves get injured, or animals get injured and just collapse into a pile of their own vomit. Even in taverns and with visitors.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Please take a number; the Forgotten Beast will be with you shortly!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:40:32 pm »

I think if you have contaminants on a soil/sand type, you could build a dirt road over the tiles to clean them.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 04:43:17 pm »

I get vomit from cave-adapted dwarves going up to the surface to haul things, but it's not a large amount.  The vomit that lands outdoors stays there until rain cleanses it.  The vomit that lands indoors eventually gets Cleaned.

And they will spread that vomit my running around.

Only if you toggle an option in one of the init files.  That hasn't been on by default in years.

This one, in d_init.txt: [WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF:NO]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:46:42 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 08:59:15 pm »

And they will spread that vomit my running around.

Only if you toggle an option in one of the init files.  That hasn't been on by default in years.

This one, in d_init.txt: [WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF:NO]
Well, yes...but they keep vomiting when walking about. They pretty much leave green trails wherever they go. It's like they suddenly got an obsession that everything must be painted green or something.

I imagine if they spread it by just walking over it it would be even worse...I don't even want to imagine that to be honest...

It's weird, my fortress' insides are clean. They clean up everything they spill and all the vomit quite quickly after finishing big haul jobs from outside. But my invader entrance which is also underground is never being cleaned and still has vomit paths from when I had them build it. Obviously that entrance is never used by anyone except for when I close off the main entrance.
Makes me wonder how they determine what needs to be cleaned and what doesn't? Hm...maybe how often people run through it or how close dwarves are? Quite curious.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 09:09:44 pm »

My dwarves must have hardier (or emptier) stomachs.  I just don't see these trails of green.  They puke once, maybe twice, and that's it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 09:08:27 am »

Half of my dwarves live and work indoor while the other half train/haul/build/cut things outdoor.
So i have 2 of the 8 temples setup for each dwarves religious need outside as most of the outdoor dwarves are belonging to them.

And well, all i can say is that's not naturally green floor you can see in those small temples, the problem is that there are still a few of the indoor dwarves coming in there.

And they don't seem to care enough to clean behind :/

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:36 am »

Dwarves won't clean outside and babies are born with cave adaptation. Even if you are really good about making your dwarves spend time outside- hell, even if you have a purely above ground fort there will still be vomit all over everything outside. 

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »

And well, all i can say is that's not naturally green floor you can see in those small temples, the problem is that there are still a few of the indoor dwarves coming in there.

Any chance that's a temple to Ralph, the porcelain god?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.