Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Epic war stories!  (Read 1171 times)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Epic war stories!
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

I just got done fighting off three goblin ambushes, one after another. A few casualties, but some awesome stories. Thank you combat reports! Post your war stories.

Twice, I saw a wardog tear the head off a goblin. The first time, the dog latched on to a goblin's noggin, and shook him until it popped off. The second time, the dog just chomped through the goblin's neck.

I watched in amazement as a crossbowdwarf with a maimed leg, and no bolts fend off a pair of hammer-wielding goblins until they gave up and retreated. He bashed one of them hard enough to bruise his brain.

I saw a goblin guard wield a pair of trousers as a weapon. He came onto the map unarmed. I don't get it.

My Mayor punched a goblin so hard it ruptured his spleen.

I saw a squad of goblins turn and flee after a my miner/armorer put a pick though the leader's head.

I haven't found any iron on this map, but now I've got all the iron weapons I need. Shields too, but only leather & copper armor.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic war stories!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

Melt the copper, make it into trinkets and trade goods, and trade it in for iron. Or you could just sell it as armor.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

How do you see combat reports in fortress mode? Iv been wondering that for a while.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

Looks like the goblins killed the human trade caravan. I didn't realize until my dwarves started hauling these random trade goods into the fortress. The barrel of gnomeblight tipped me off.

I got three anvils out of the deal. Pointless, now that my weaponsmith is dead. Maybe I should melt them down. That's three suits of iron plate. Or four and a half of chain mail.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mulch Diggums:
<STRONG>How do you see combat reports in fortress mode? Iv been wondering that for a while.</STRONG>

You need a utility to do that. You can use the Dwarf Fortress Companion, or this simplified version:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=57

I don't like using the Companion, since it lets you cheat. That's why I was glad to find this one.

Nocky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Strangething:
<STRONG>Looks like the goblins killed the human trade caravan. I didn't realize until my dwarves started hauling these random trade goods into the fortress. The barrel of gnomeblight tipped me off.</STRONG>

Same deal with me, except I decided to watch it happen. Turns out that the goblins and the humans fought to a standstill, the remaining humans either crazy or dead attempting to crawl to the trade depot, or what remains of the goblin crossbow ambushers bleeding to death trying to retreat.

Soon after, a dragon appeared, which I promptly choked to death.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

A fisher/wrestler of mine completely took over a goblin building in a goblin town, she used a "narrow donkey leather shoe". The second building i took over with my woodcutter/axedwarf, she took joy in chopping up every goblin until nothing but their torsos and heads were left, then she either chopped of their heads in a huge bloody ark (one head flew almost asfar as the gap between two goblin buildings) or she cleaved their romps in two. It was pretty awesome. Now only one building with life goblins is left, the one with the master wich i won't be taking on for now, unless i have a deathwish.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

A pair of ogres turned up just after a goblin siege, and most of the troops were dead or resting their injuries.  One ogre wanders off, but the other starts hassling my civvy dwarves, that were busy looting corpses.  Not attacking them exactly, but bothering them a bit.

One of my fortress guard, utterly against any instruction, takes it upon himself to wander over to the ogre.  The next second there is gore everywhere.  I check the ogre, and find that it has lost it's toes, fingers, hands, feet, arms and legs, several other organs were highlighted in red, and my dwarf is still going at it.  The chunks were thrown up onto ledges 2 z-levels above the battle.  Once all the peripheral organs and limbs were removed, he just tore the ogres head off and threw it a good 3-4 z levels.

In so far as I can tell, my dwarf just waded in and tore the ogre to bits.  He wasn't enraged, no martial trance.  I'm a little scared as to just what he would've done if he had been.  Didn't even have a wound on him, at the end.  I love my pump-operator trained wrestlers.

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Strangething:
<STRONG>I just got done fighting off three goblin ambushes, one after another. A few casualties, but some awesome stories. Thank you combat reports! Post your war stories.

Twice, I saw a wardog tear the head off a goblin. The first time, the dog latched on to a goblin's noggin, and shook him until it popped off. The second time, the dog just chomped through the goblin's neck.

I watched in amazement as a crossbowdwarf with a maimed leg, and no bolts fend off a pair of hammer-wielding goblins until they gave up and retreated. He bashed one of them hard enough to bruise his brain.

I saw a goblin guard wield a pair of trousers as a weapon. He came onto the map unarmed. I don't get it.

My Mayor punched a goblin so hard it ruptured his spleen.

I saw a squad of goblins turn and flee after a my miner/armorer put a pick though the leader's head.

I haven't found any iron on this map, but now I've got all the iron weapons I need. Shields too, but only leather & copper armor.</STRONG>

Those must have been some angry dwarves.

You can only imagine what a montage of that would look like...

Mayor: DWARVES! THEY COME TO TAKE OUR LANDS! WE HAVE A MILITARY, BUT ALL MUST DO THEIR PART! CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!! *lunges on a goblin and hits him in the solar plexus, sending him flying*

Crossbowdwarf: YAAAAAAAAAAARgh *bashbashbash*

Goblins: Screw this!

Goblin: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIEEEEE! *runs into the fray with a pair of pants, and uses it to blind a dwarf before kicking him in the crotch*

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Bunny:
<STRONG>A pair of ogres turned up just after a goblin siege, and most of the troops were dead or resting their injuries.  One ogre wanders off, but the other starts hassling my civvy dwarves, that were busy looting corpses.  Not attacking them exactly, but bothering them a bit.

One of my fortress guard, utterly against any instruction, takes it upon himself to wander over to the ogre.  The next second there is gore everywhere.  I check the ogre, and find that it has lost it's toes, fingers, hands, feet, arms and legs, several other organs were highlighted in red, and my dwarf is still going at it.  The chunks were thrown up onto ledges 2 z-levels above the battle.  Once all the peripheral organs and limbs were removed, he just tore the ogres head off and threw it a good 3-4 z levels.

In so far as I can tell, my dwarf just waded in and tore the ogre to bits.  He wasn't enraged, no martial trance.  I'm a little scared as to just what he would've done if he had been.  Didn't even have a wound on him, at the end.  I love my pump-operator trained wrestlers.</STRONG>

Dwarf: *chuckles as he holds up the ogre head as if speaking to it* Imagine what woulda happened if I _wasn't_ drunk.

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Jetman123 ]

When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!