Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HexCrawl - Checking for Interest and some game rules questions  (Read 870 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
HexCrawl - Checking for Interest and some game rules questions
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:19:41 pm »

So I would like to run a HexCrawl on the forum. Back in my Pen and Paper glory days, this is what we did. HexCrawl was the original sandbox and my nostalgia for it is HUGE. Heres a page with some description of HexCrawl and some links for more resources if you need more:

http://www.gnomestew.com/tools-for-gms/old-school-fantasy-hexcrawl-resources/

I have a twist here. I have been hacking some random generation tables and coming up with some of my own stuff to sort of create what I am now calling "Procedural Campaign Generation". The current variant I am working on involves generating the game world on the fly, never generating more than is needed at any given point in the story. In this way, the world will unfold before the players.

What makes this procedural and not simply random is that I will (nearly) always stick to my rolls and the results. Where I get to stretch my creativity is how to weave the results together in the world. As the GM, my goal will be to create interesting storytelling opportunities. Because my choices on where to place encounters and what links to make between them will be influenced by the actions and characters of the players, the generation of the world will be both collaborative and procedural. Finally there is some logic and process to how the world unfolds, certain things arise only when the right conditions are met, and when certain encounters exist they spawn modifiers to the process

When it's "done" we will be able to look back at a map of a world, full of stories, that we created together.

I figure it might be something many of us would appreciate, the happy union of procedural generation, emergent story telling and some old school pen-and-paper RPG (bring your own soda and Doritos).

My question is this: what games system to use. I really dont want combat to bog things down, the HexCrawling being the primary feature. Roll to Dodge seesmt o be the simplest thing, but I am not sure if it provides enough depth for some of the simulation aspects we might want to achieve. Theres a couple of "rules light" systems that I am looking at, those are:

Old School Hack (looks super fun and...OLD SCHOOL)
http://www.oldschoolhack.net/osh-docs/OldSchoolHack_v1beta.pdf

Chimera
http://www.welshpiper.com/downloads/1000_ChimeraBasic_3.0.pdf

Both would need to be hacked a bit to make combat snappier, along the lines of what RTD can do. 1-3 rounds tops, battle done. 2 rounds would be ideal.

Thoughts?
I got nothing

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: HexCrawl - Checking for Interest and some game rules questions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:25:26 pm »

Hm.

I find this interesting.

Have you considered GURPS yet?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:32:41 pm »

Looking for something much lighter in the rules department than GURPS. Check out those links, those are my top 2 picks besides RTD, next would be microlite20
I got nothing

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:09:38 am »

Seems rather interesting. PTW ((can. Someone please tell me what that means) I am sorta new here)
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:50:26 pm »

P = Post
T = To
W= Watch
Max avatar size is 80x80

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 05:30:39 pm »

Thank you.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 05:38:05 pm »

ptw

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 12:00:07 am »

I kind of like Old School Hack better. It feels much simpler and sleeker. I like the archetypal setup, and I think that it'll work better than a super customizable system, like Chimera.