Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inciting a Riot  (Read 1229 times)

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inciting a Riot
« on: May 28, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

Haha, so, I decide to incite some insanity in my work fort by building a giant bridge and dropping 20 champions to their potential death or at least... serious injury... and as most of them are friends with each other, well, yeah...

So, a lot of unhappy campers, and one of the survivors was nursed back to health, and I forgot to take him off duty, and so he was standing on a bridge with 3 other guys... goes into a tantrum, tries to start a fist-fight, is dodged... but the poor fellow dodges off the edge of the bridge and falls to his death.

The tantruming champion then, angry at killing a friend he just intended to slug, destroys the bridge he is standing on, falls 5 stories, lives... (albeit with a broken hip and upper leg) ... and is facing 2 hammerstrikes from the hammerer for breaking the bridge.

The most awesome part is the hammerer is asleep, so the dwarf has to lay there bleeding and vomiting, crippled... waiting for what will likely be his death sentence.

Good God I love this game  :)

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inciting a Riot
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

How did you dig the 5 z levels down?

I'd like to have a 5-z level moat/empty moat.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by C0nscript:
<STRONG>How did you dig the 5 z levels down?

I'd like to have a 5-z level moat/empty moat.</STRONG>

It's tedious, but you can dig one level out at a time, then, slowly, channel out the next and the next. It must be done in stages, else it fails hard. And likely, you'll end up with a few stranded dwarves. This is why I hope for movable latters soon.

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

It was actually a bridge off a mountainside, but I've dug a 11 Z-level drop (it's HILARIOUS, when they fall off of it... the body parts come flying up the shaft for 3 or 4 Z-levels up... and some of them have sideward momentum so they land outside the trap... it WAS going to be 10 level drop, but I struck gold on the 10th level, so there's a nice open space on the 10th level...  :) )

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

quote:
channel out the next and the next

that technique is too tidy, try building stairs where you want the pit to be, and then channel out the stairs from the topmost level. your dwarves will do this from the level BELOW, so there is no risk of stranded miners.

also, a benefit of this technique is that you can dump the stone when the stairs are build, and then dig channels for a litterless pit!

een failing lately?

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can one of you guys make a diagram for that pit-digging technqiue?

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »

You can also just mine out the area you want to be your moat on each z-level, build a single support on the lowest level and a single wall on each level above that, then just channel out the edges.  Link a lever to the support, order your dwarves safely out of the way, and pull!

Assuming the channels were dug right, the support will collapse, then each floor will realize it has no support and fall, pancaking into a single z-layer as the walls fall apart into their component stones.  You'll wind up with a whole dwarfload of stone at the bottom, but that can be ignored or dealt with at leisure.  Warning: Use of this technique with a large area and/or multiple z-levels may result in your computer pausing for an inordinate length in calculation.

Edit: I am guilty of hijacking this thread, and apologize.

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Dareon Clearwater ]

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

As I understand the original suggestion (side view):
code:
>>>    ___
XXX => XXX => >>>
###    ###    ###

The nice thing about this being that you can designate all the stairs to be dug in one fell swoop, and then just go through designating channels as the dwarves finish off each layer. Much easier than the ramp method I'd always used. Just make certain to make the bottom layer be up-staircases only, since you can't currently remove down-staircases. Oh, and make certain that you have a way out (or else an expendable dwarf to finish the job).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

I just usually start with a channel on L1, stairs down to L2, dig to the channel hole, channel again, rinse wash repeat...

START
####
####
####
####
####
####

NEXT
>__#
X###
X###
X###
<###
####

>__#
X__#
X###
X###
<###
####

>__#
X__#
X__#
X###
<###

(repeat)

END
>__#
X__#
X__#
X__#
<__#
#__#

END PLUS TRAP
>BBBBBB#O
X______#
########

Pull lever, retract bridge, everything on bridge falls to death, if you blocked your entrance with it, the goblins/etc can't get in unless they can fly, and you can now shoot them in the face with bolts of doom at your leisure.