Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Danger Fortress  (Read 1307 times)

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger Fortress
« on: December 25, 2015, 12:32:05 pm »

So, I just had this idea: instead of building danger rooms, why not cover all the unoccupied tiles in a fortress with weapon traps loaded with wooden spears/spikes and hook the whole thing up to a repeater?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 12:35:59 pm »

Would take a really long time to do and might be laggy too.

That said, this is the concept of modern dwarven childcare. Children spend their entire childhood on upright wooden spikes through use of burrows and dorm/dining hall/food stockpile placement

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 04:39:30 pm »

Would take a really long time to do and might be laggy too.
Also, nothing would get done and everyone would die of thirst.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »

You'd impale all the pets, babies, and visitors?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 04:55:01 pm »

While everyone is nitpicking this idea, let's also remind the OP that the amount of wood needed for that would piss off the elves!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 05:56:53 pm »

That idea smells of death by interrupt message spam
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 08:52:40 pm »

You wouldn't?
While everyone is nitpicking this idea, let's also remind the OP that the amount of wood needed for that would piss off the elves!
I'm sure my superdwarves will give the elves a friendly introduction.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 08:55:42 am »

But think of the tantrums!

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 04:21:24 pm »

But think of the tantrums!

...so more decoy furniture for them to destroy instead of actually useful stuff?

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 01:35:50 pm »

SNAFU, without the AFU.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 03:09:13 pm »

I have also thought about this. Ignoring practical concerns like requiring a fuckton of wood and mechanisms it is in theory a doable idea.

Dwarves can live their entire lives in a danger room environment without even noticing it, provided they're wearing adequate protection. Only when they instinctively dodge into something unpleasant they will interrupt what they were doing, otherwise they'll just go through the traps like Shaolin monks, all while hauling half ton boulders and other stuff.

Of course you can't have babies or pets in a danger fortress. Not for long, at least.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 03:59:16 pm »

Another problem is that danger rooms are quite dangerous for untrained and unmarried dwarves. The training spears rarely do more than bruise, but even on armored dwarves there's the occasional strike directly to the eye or something that explodes it, or a hit that causes their neck to bleed or something. Doing this to a whole fortress of dwarves would be very dangerous, for the first month at least, until everybody got high enough dodge skill to consistently dodge the traps.

In thinking you could severely lessen two problems by just making each trap only have 1 spear in it. It would require a tenth the amount of wood, require a lot less setup, and be less likely to seriously injure anybody.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia