Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tech-Vault presents: The Ark-Bacon Challenge  (Read 651 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tech-Vault presents: The Ark-Bacon Challenge
« on: December 25, 2015, 02:36:13 am »

Welcome, Overseer. Tech-Vault would like to welcome you to the plot of land that will be your home for the immediate future. You have been selected to oversee this totally-not-a-deathtrap project, Jerry, for one of many reasons. Your civilization may be crumbling, and you need a redoubt to fall back on. Your civilization may be sending out an expedition for insurance just before launching a costly war. Maybe your ruler is bored. Maybe somebody told your supervisor that you were caught making out with your supervisor's wife, Jerry. Whatever the reason, it is of utmost importance that the fortress you create survive, and the ways of our people live on.

Also that pigs survive, because bacon is amazing.

Note: If you are overseeing a science-type Fortress, please see attached appendix SADOS-1.

This list may be updated in the future, but for the moment, your primary mission is to survive (........yes, even you, Jerry), and thrive until you are decapitated by goblins. or melted by a forgotten beast's gas. or turned into a were-creature. or smashed by a Colossus or a Titan. or have all of your clothing stolen by Keas, that fatass Bob drinking all of the booze, and discovering that ants have made the sleeping area their home.

Armok damn it, Bob, that was a bad time.

The Ark-Bacon Challenge has three primary phases:

Phase 1: Asylum

Your primary goal during the Ark-Bacon Asylum stage is to preserve the Dorfy way of life. On embark, bring as many breeding pairs of as many different animals as you can, while also taking care to bring along seeds of our traditional subterranean crops. Minimum Mandatory Requirements on embark:

At least 1 breeding pair each of dogs, cats, any kind of hauling animals (from embark, additional breeding pair from wagon is a useful bonus), wool-primary livestock, and poultry. And at least 2 Sows to go with your boar, because above all else we must preserve bacon as a national resource.

If you are providing your civilization with a redoubt to retreat to, it is recommended to embark on an island in the middle of an ocean. Other dwarves will be able to reach you, but nobody else will be able to reach you. So even if every other Fortress falls, your civilization will not fall. Not to mention that the other Fortresses will have a steady supply of meat, alcohol, and clothing to support their stand against the world.

And trees. Don't get me started on trees.

Phase 2: City

By this point, you have arrived, and have made a decent start unloading the wagon. Now, because the primary goal of establishing a colony way the hell out of the way is to make sure that our civilization doesn't fall if the goblins get a few thousand lucky hits in, it's time to get serious.

Get everyone some beds, get some food going, and get your industries going. While you're doing your planning, prepare for a panic room. The panic room must have:

a 1x1 farm plot for every type of Dwarven seed, at least 1 of every type of Dwarven seed, an axe, a pick, plenty of booze, and at least 1 male and 1 female unrelated dwarf. These brave dwarves will be sealed off from the rest of the fort, and provide an additional barrier to the fall of your civilization. And a breeding pair of pigs, because a world without bacon is no world at all. Additional materials and/or work may be provided for said dwarves, however all additional material delivered to the Vault dwellers must be delivered via an airlock system to prevent accidental !!fun!!

Phase 3: Knights.

By this point you are firmly established, and it is time to ensure that even if your entire civilization has to retreat to your location, they could immediately rearm and move out to wipe out the stupidity that is all non-dorfs. At the same time, keeping our way of life possible is of utmost importance.

Create at least 4 more Vaults in your Fortress, as described in the last section. Additionally, procure from the Mountainhome one of every type of animal that was avilable to you upon embark, and ensure that at least 1 breeding pair (of all the species, except the bacon-bringers--keep at least 3-5 breeding pairs of those on hand at all times) are maintained in a Vault that is separated from the main Vault at all times.

If the tree-humpers can reach you, get and make warriors of as many additional species as you can. Any species you yourself can tame should also be tamed, but no pressure.

Your entrances should be able to be sealed, in the incredibly unlikely event of a lavaflow covering the entire surface world. That would never happen if the last mountainhome should fall, nope. Behind your doors, you should have a Steel-equipped fighting force that is capable of crushing any force that makes it through your trap-infested entrance corridor.

Any non-domestic tamed animal species should also be provided their own vaults, as well.

Phase 4: Apertures (see appendix hfSADOS-1 for site-specific scientifical experiwhatzits instructions)

It is time to begin with my own, personal !!SCIENCE!! breakthrough. The bacon shotgun cannon.......

Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech-Vault presents: The Ark-Bacon Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 02:38:48 am »

Just a random little mental doodle that's been demanding to be put to silicon.

It started from my tendency to make an island, bring as many animals with me as I could, and making that a fall-back position. Toss in several overdoses of nerdy pop culture, and shake until stirred.

I probably won't update this any more than just this.

Just a mental itch I had to scratch, but I hope you enjoy it.

Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!