Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'felt vengeful after joining an existing conflict'  (Read 3485 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
'felt vengeful after joining an existing conflict'
« on: December 17, 2015, 10:29:41 am »

I just accepted a visiting chemist that petitioned to study at my fort. Before unpausing, I looked at his thought page.
He 'feels vengeful after joining an existing conflict'. Zooming to his location, I see he is standing next to the elected mayor of my fort, who also 'feels vengeful after joining an existing conflict'.
All dwarves also have 'I have a part in this! I will take revenge!' as current thought, top line of the thought page.

Inquiring further, I find that over half of my fort's population has this in their thoughts screen. There is nothing in the combat reports, except my broker killing a wild dingo with a wooden cup, actually managing to get it stuck in the dingo's skull, and my marksdwarves who are sparring outside shooting at passing keas (wonderful how well this works now. Give your marksdwarves both a barracks as well as a shooting range. They'll train at the barracks when there's no training bolts, and as a bonus, they shoot at anything that gets too close.

There's also nothing in the justice screen. Besides, all my dwarves are way too happy to fight. I've only ever seen one fistfight in the very first year of my fort. The instigator was a 'very susceptible to disease' case, who died of alcohol poisoning not much later.

There's also no loyalty cascade going on. No fighting at all.

After unpausing for 10 seconds, checking back, the thoughts are gone from every dwarf. So what did those thoughts mean? Did witnessing my marksdwarves fight a kea, or my broker fight a dingo give them that thought temporarily?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: 'felt vengeful after joining an existing conflict'
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:40:13 am »

That came with 0.40's emotion update.

When one civilian dwarf is attacked, the others will start feeling vengeful and then they dogpile the creature. That's even worse if the hostile *kills* a dwarf.

Last version i lost about twenty civilians to a FB who killed my military. They just went No Job and leeroy'd at it.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:04:16 am »

That came with 0.40's emotion update.

When one civilian dwarf is attacked, the others will start feeling vengeful and then they dogpile the creature. That's even worse if the hostile *kills* a dwarf.

Last version i lost about twenty civilians to a FB who killed my military. They just went No Job and leeroy'd at it.

Thank you I was trying to work out why I lost 20 peasants to a cave croc when they all attacked rather than ran away.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:22:15 am »

Vengeful thoughts could be regarded as a form of contagious mental disease that will eventually result in a fortress full of unhappy and stressed dwarves.

A dwarf getting into a combat situation, or just seeing a hostile creature, will start spreading hostile thoughts around him. Any dwarf who's nearby and has a path to the dwarf in combat has a chance to get a vengeful thought, based on his/her personality profile. What's worse, dwarves with vengeful thoughts also spread them around in same manner, and these thoughts will stack. In a crowded area dwarves could each have a dozen vengeful thoughts with each thought having their effect on individual's stress counter, all from a single dwarf seeing a single enemy behind fortifications.

This "vengeful plague" has been the bane of many of my fortresses.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?