Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Older gamers, how has gaming changed for you?  (Read 7686 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Older gamers, how has gaming changed for you?
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2015, 07:10:30 pm »

Don't try it too hard though, I stopped playing Witcher 2 because I insisted on Dark difficulty.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2015, 09:07:30 pm »

Something I really noticed in Skyrim and Fallout is how those games are extremely formulaic.

You never get to see any too hard monsters or get to find any especially good items unless you are the right level. Every quest and dungeon is a direct copy of the others. The dialogue options are prefab.

I fucking hate it.

Skyrim much moreso than Fallout. The dungeons in Skyrim really were indistinguishable
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2015, 02:41:42 am »

Well, those dungeons came in exactly three flavors (tomb, cave and dwemer) and more than a few mixed elements from the sets, this makes them not just 'feel' the same, it actually makes them identical and forgettable.  Seriously, while it has become commonplace to gripe about jRPG tilesets and palette-swapped enemies, at least each area was pretty distinct and had a real theme.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2015, 08:11:46 am »

I use skyrim as a sleep aid. I have beaten the game so hard that it cried like a frightened child-- So I just pick a random dungeon after it has had time to respawn, and just blow everything up.

I made myself a small mod to put in an actually functional garden plot at lakeview manor (As in, actually garden sized, complete with a buttload of functional planter spots), so I can pick and choose what potions I feel I will need to make to take with me for each little bandit busting trip.  I even added a few ingredients to the list of permitted items for such plots.

This was about the time I got into modding for Morrowind, but I find the Creation Kit for skyrim to be just too damned buggy to work with. A simple mod requires constant, tedious saves and regression tests.

Forget something that might actually be worthwhile-- The game engine is limited to 32 bit memory access, and already allocates pretty much the full amount. Same with the editor, which is why it crashes all the damned time.   Any really ambitious modding crashes the creation kit, and the game engine.

Bethesda needs to wake up and smell the coffee, and stop making 32bit crippled tools and titles.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2015, 02:22:41 pm »

Why the bloody hell do City Builders never have random map generators anymore!?

EDIT:
And why is 9/10 of the map always locked at the beginning of each game!?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:24:48 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2015, 04:28:03 pm »

MMORPGs, for instance. From Asheron's Call (which debuted Nov 1999) to the monolith that is World of Warcraft (Nov 2004).

Subscription based games are even worse than pay-to-win
I have to heavily disagree with this. While I'm not a fan of subscription based games, at least every player is on a even footing, and you only spend a set amount each month.
Pay-to-win is the opposite. If you want to be the best you have to spend a huge amount of money every single month, and it also usually results in purposefully crippling players that don't spend any money.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2015, 08:28:10 pm »

MMORPGs, for instance. From Asheron's Call (which debuted Nov 1999) to the monolith that is World of Warcraft (Nov 2004).

Subscription based games are even worse than pay-to-win
I have to heavily disagree with this. While I'm not a fan of subscription based games, at least every player is on a even footing, and you only spend a set amount each month.
Pay-to-win is the opposite. If you want to be the best you have to spend a huge amount of money every single month, and it also usually results in purposefully crippling players that don't spend any money.
True. But it's more like this: P2W < Sub < F2P.

Microtransaction-ridden games that only sell convenience, corner-cutting, and cosmetics are annoying, but they've got nothing on "Lol pay us the price of a new game every couple months in exchange for the same shit-tier support and QA that you get from F2P games."

The only subscription-model game I haven't regretted paying for was Runescape back in the day where it was like $5 a month and not a complete steaming heap of crap--I thought then  (and still sort of agree) that $60 per year was a reasonable price for a fun game with solid content, creative quest design, a choice between full-loss-risk and no-consequence PvP, and a constant stream of new content. $10/mo, never mind the ones that ask for $20+/mo, and which have shitty content? Don't make me laugh. GW2 would be a good example of the other acceptable model, except that they fuck you by asking for a full price purchase up front and then backload it with $60+ worth of "optional" expansions to character slots, bank slots, inventory space, &c. that are necessary to play the game at a meaningful level of involvement.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2015, 09:04:02 pm »

I dunno... I feel like I'd almost pay a subscription just so I won't get nagged anymore.

F2P might as well be called "Pay by being Nagged" as it constantly non-stop tries everything it can to get you to cough up money.

Which has infected F2P-suboptional games.

I just wish I could get a good idea if I wanted to subscribe to a game before I was in it for the long haul. I already learned I don't like Pirate or Wizard 101 the hard way (the games don't evolve)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2015, 12:30:37 am »

I refuse to be part of the "always connected, always served ads, and pay to win" ecosystem.

Yes. Developers need money. They also need to budget thier money more wisely, and stop trying to squeeze every dime out of thier IP like pimps workin' ho's.

They dont need to play panopticon police with always-on validation, and they dont need to try to divert initial sales price onto bought DLC that just adds a single new quest or some special armor. (or worse, is just a bugfix.)

Selling a large game in installments is OK-- I dont mind, as long as each game installment can stand up on its own. But I refuse to be the game industry's fanbois bitch.

They try that shit, I pirate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2015, 12:33:42 am »

The worst part is when the fanboys ask to have their shit packed in like that, as they did with Starcraft 2.

3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2015, 12:40:14 am »

I was meaning more like how halflife 2 did it.

Half-life 2 episode 1 can stand on its own as a game. Selling it separate from the initial half-life 2 is OK in my book.

What isn't OK is more like what Bethesda did with say, Hearthfire expansion.  That's workin the IP like a pimp workin a ho.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2015, 12:44:25 am »

Yeah, I was agreeing with you indirectly in the sense that it's coolio when the parts are coherent wholes that have a meaningful reason for being released separately, while implying that that's not often the case.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2015, 12:54:18 am »

Half-life 2 episode 1 can stand on its own as a game. Selling it separate from the initial half-life 2 is OK in my book.
Speaking of which, am I the only person who thinks Half-Life 2 wasn't as good as Half-Life 1?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 01:18:10 am »

Speaking of which, am I the only person who thinks Half-Life 2 wasn't as good as Half-Life 1?

You certainly are not the only one.

Though it helps that Halflife 1 was more cohesive and felt like everything belonged as part of a whole... and Half-life 2 was more a tour of gameplay mechanics that were often completely disconnected from one another.

As well Half Life, while having a narrative, did not disrupt the flow of gameplay to explore it like Halflife 2 did a lot.

As for me... I have no opinion. They are definitely way different games though... To admit, I do think I had more fun playing Half-life 1 then I ever did playing Half-life 2... I guess I had a very "busy work" vibe from it, but I don't know why... might have to do with the many "explore these many sections" segments.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]