Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't pit a captured goblin.  (Read 1018 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't pit a captured goblin.
« on: December 17, 2015, 05:18:15 pm »

Small goblin siege, shit flies, goblins die.

I captured one of the bastards alive and he's in my mass pit zone, but I can't assign him to the pit. When I press P on the zones screen to manage the pit, the goblin doesn't show up on the list. I've managed pitting before and dumped goblins and used them as target practice but for whatever reason it doesn't work now.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't pit a captured goblin.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:24:59 pm »

Known issue: intelligent beings can be neither pitted nor assigned to a chain in 0.42.03 (9271 and similar reports).
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:55 pm »

For the time being just keep him caged and release him into a pit or safe enclosed area mechanically using mechanisms to open the cage when your dwarves are in positon to commence training as a alternative (or throw a dangerous beast in with him to be released simultaneously)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:56:20 am »

Or use my method: Build a row of 3 10 tile long raising drawbridges or a dead end tunnel with a pressure plate inside of the drawbridges hooked up to the pressure plate and a door on the outside. Built the cage at the single empty tile at the end of the tunnel and hook it up to a lever. Hook the drawbridges to a lever as well to provide a manual override when the victim happens to just stand on the trigger plate after release.
When the cage is built and hooked up, lock the door and pull the lever twice. The victim rushes towards the door and gets atom smashed. A locked door ensures both that undead don't manage to sprint out before the bridges rise, and blocks your dorfs from going in to recover the cage and mechanism and become collateral damage.
Unlock the door and order the building of a new cage.

It's slow and somewhat tedious, but it works.