Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: deep fort glass  (Read 2209 times)

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: deep fort glass
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 10:43:26 pm »

Seriously, just move a couple of magma tiles up to the sand. You said the glass was for building on the surface, yes? Even idpf you get the sand/bag rotation going, you'll still need to transfer the blocks back up. You can make glass crafts/trap components to sell and have them be close to a trade depot too. I suppose the same track that ferries the bags up could also bring the blocks, but that might create a bottleneck depending on how much you plan on building. It's be simpler to just create the glass on the surface, where neither the bags nor blocks (nor sand in the first place) would have to move far. If you want to churn out furniture for your fort below, dumping the finished goods down a shaft wouldn't be too troublesome considering the bags stay up top.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 04:54:27 am »

You need to create the top of the downward chute such that the lateral moment is shed by hitting the wall on the opposite side of the entrance, so you should design it so that there are no tracks at least on the level below the entrance, and probably not the one below that either. Also note that the cart speed when entering the chute mustn't be too high, or the impact with the wall will throw the cart contents out of the cart.

Thanks for the movie link, taptap. I'm going to try to wrap my head around the concept, but spontaneously it looks to me to be about the same amount of work to create as a spiral. Regardless, it's always good to expand the toolbox.

And for the purpose of building with glass topside, Niddhoger's suggestion is probably the best one. Just haul a magma filled mine cart (iron/steel/candy) two times and dump into a channeled tile and then build a magma glass smelter on top of it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 08:17:26 am »

Just haul a magma filled mine cart (iron/steel/candy) two times and dump into a channeled tile and then build a magma glass smelter on top of it.

Nickel also works, if you happen to have garnierite rather than an iron ore.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:19 am »

Seriously, just move a couple of magma tiles up to the sand. You said the glass was for building on the surface, yes? Even idpf you get the sand/bag rotation going, you'll still need to transfer the blocks back up. You can make glass crafts/trap components to sell and have them be close to a trade depot too. I suppose the same track that ferries the bags up could also bring the blocks, but that might create a bottleneck depending on how much you plan on building. It's be simpler to just create the glass on the surface, where neither the bags nor blocks (nor sand in the first place) would have to move far. If you want to churn out furniture for your fort below, dumping the finished goods down a shaft wouldn't be too troublesome considering the bags stay up top.

From experience building an entire 200 dwarf fort with even a moderate surface courtyard took 3 glass furnaces working non-stop over 5 years to churn out enough blocks and furniture. I plan on a BIG temple/tavern complex so have set up for 6+ glass furnaces, plus forge, smelters and maybe a kiln. Moving enough magma for that many magma workshops is a pain and it was far easier to drop 2 blocks of sand.
I will be building a powered track to get the blocks and crafts up later, as well as a magma-fall in the temple and an elaborate goblin killing tunnel but that is all mid to long term stuff. I needed the glass furnace quickly and a small cave-in was exactly the right thing. I also don't seem to have any iron ores (or garnierite) so the only other simple set up seems off the cards even if i wanted to do that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 03:27:40 pm »

I'd still wait for your friendly neighbors to come over to donate some iron (or buy two bars of a suitable metal/melt worthy items from a caravan) and then slowly move the magma glass smelters (and other industry) up one by one (in practice, build additional ones topside) since it cuts down on hauling, even with a mine cart track.
Since you've dropped the sand you're not in a great hurry doing that, though, but I'd guess it could shave a few years off your project.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 05:11:14 pm »

If you do the impulse spirial, you need to dig 3 tiles but designate 4 of track.
NNNN
FIRW for Floor, Impulse ramp, Regularramp, and Wall. You designate WE track from F to W inclusive, then a NS from R to the North wall inclusive.

Also, don't try to have the drop chute in the middle if you drop the carts back down. They'll keep lateral momentum the whole way down and shoot into the nearest cat.

Sorry for the formatting, on mobile.
What do you mean by "lateral momentum"? Minecarts in free-fall travel on a roughly parabolic shape, so any lateral momentum would cause the cart to go onto the spiral ramp again.
WHTTTTTT
I mean that a cart going west on the Track that hits the Wall and falls down the Hole will end up still trying to move west, and will find its way back onto your spirial if it can as you said. If it can't, it will sometimes do so when it hits the bottem of the hole several dozen z levels later.

This is avoidable by sticking the carts in a different cart to dump them down the chute, or just garbage dumping them.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 06:31:07 pm »

I haven't had any problems shedding horizontal movement by whacking the cart into a wall. The only cases where the cart has returned back up again were the ones where the cart landed on the track rather than hitting the wall (resulting in a need for redesign by moving the cart entrance up a bit or entrance from a different direction).

I also neglected to mention that a magma piston can be used to move a suitable amount of magma up to power magma workshops.
Pages: 1 [2]