Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring in a nutshell  (Read 904 times)

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
Sparring in a nutshell
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:52:14 pm »

Well seeing as there's not much information on the wiki about why dwarfs will do it or not. I do remember I had a good look into why my dwarfs avoid doing sparing and how often it was done in one fort.

Organisation skill is a key factor in how quickly sparring and demonstrations are started.
Having more combat skills will cause more demonstrations to be done instead. (at least 1?)
Dwarfs will pick up the more useless skills from sparring and thus organise demonstrations on it.
Best squad size is 3 dwarfs so at least some of them will get the organisation skill up high enough and so some can sleep.

Haven't done it in a while so going to have to go back over it and see if its changed much. 40.24 Might have been the last time I really did anything or had a look into why some dwarfs were sparring more often then others.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring in a nutshell
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 10:44:12 pm »

Also remember default training starts at a "minimum 10" so it more or less forces your entire squad to train, in big sizes. Which is inefficient when you have the entire squad waiting on one guy to stop getting provisions and come back to the barracks.

So set it to a minimum of 2,3, or 4 training sessions at a time when you schedule squads. And you can have multiple "train minimum 2" in one month. Which forces a handful of small group sessions.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring in a nutshell
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:21:59 am »

Also remember default training starts at a "minimum 10" so it more or less forces your entire squad to train, in big sizes. Which is inefficient when you have the entire squad waiting on one guy to stop getting provisions and come back to the barracks.

That is totally, completely not what it means.  It doesn't mean "Nobody can train until all 10 squad members show up".  It means "All 10 squad members are expected to turn into solid smiley faces and show up as much as dwarvenly possible".  Even with the default "minimum 10" training order, you will see training break up into groups of 2 to 4 for separate demonstrations, sparring, and so on.  And if one dwarf is asleep and another is eating, no problem.  The others will train.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz