Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I've finally had fun  (Read 1140 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I've finally had fun
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:17:00 am »

Yesterday I played a whole game of Dwarf Fortress in less than half an hour, and that's without abandoning.

I embarked on a terrifying mountain with a bit of marshland biome. The only immediately visible creatures were four beak dogs. I was happy to see them, because they looked like great target practice since they were separated from my dwarves by 5 z-levels of sheer cliff.

Feeling safe, I set some orders for my dwarves and went to browse the forums while they're doing their work. I checked on them now and then, and everything was running smoothly. But then I checked again and noticed a canceled job, the  cause being interruption by a grimeling. Now, I've never seen a grimeling before, but the name didn't sound too scary (you just can't sound scary if your name ends in -ling). I did want to see what it looks like, so I scrolled around to catch a sight of it. You can imagine how surprised I was to find five dwarven corpses. Only the miners were still alive, so I drafted them and sent them to face this monster. They sustained minor injuries before killing them.

Now, I was down to two tantruming miners, but I was determined to keep this fortress alive. The game had other plans, however. I barely finished burying the fallen (in a graveyard stockpile, without proper coffins) when I got another job cancelation announcement. This time, it was caused by a harpy. I remembered reading that harpies are weak, so I drafted my miners and sent them to fight the flying menace. The miners went separately, and were promptly slaughtered before inflicting any injuries upon the enemy.

Anyway, this game must've had the greatest fun/time ratio of all the games I've played. So now I'm looking for similar games. I'd especially like to try taking on ogres, so any tips on finding them are more than welcome.

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: So I've finally had fun
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

I remember finding Ogres in a warm swamp. Along with constant harpy assaults. Those things are nasty.

Also, I must object to the -ling -comment. Zergling rush anyone?

Also also, glad you had fun. Reclaim?-D

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

a technique i use, is to save often, back up occasionally, and when things go 'wrong' just shut the program with the task manager, then restart from my last save. it works fairly well as such things go.

any critters in your start area will kill you if they get a chance. carp, wolves, hippos, fire imps... whatever is around will go out of its way to destroy you.

heck, i even had one fort embark right on top of a minotaur cave... thats a real limit on where you can dig ^.^

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:33:00 am »

Ogres are [EVIL] and have the following biomes:
code:

[BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SAVANNA_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME:SAVANNA_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME:GRASSLAND_TROPICAL]

Enjoy.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:31:00 am »

I had a fort with harpys and ogres, but they were rare (but deadly).  2 harpys together near end of year 1, 1 ogre at end of year 2, 2 ogres at beginning of year 4 i think.  I would have loved for more than that.  They did their damage but I had plenty or immigrant fodder errrr i mean recruits by then.  I was forced to make my version of arlington cemetary tho.  60 coffins each in a 3x3 engraved tomb with silver doors (well, not all were silver, didnt have enough but....).  everyone else got a 1x1 coffin with a door cuz they are civvy wussies!  :P

GMcG

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

JustinKace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

Yeah the disasters do tend to be more entertaining dont they. Early on in my DF career I unwittingly settled near a cave with a cyclops. I had lots of dogs that I was planning to train up at a later date, but i noticed at some stage that they were being struck down in ones and twos every now and then. I finally took some time to find out what was happeningjust as the cyclops found the entrance to my lair. He came raging in, stomping dogs left and right while the unarmed and untrained dwarves cowered just inside their entrance hall. Finally one brave dog too many fell and the dwarven hound master snapped and charged the monstrous creature. The rest of the dwarves couldn't let him go to his fate unaided, so they too charged! In a fury of tackling, biting, flying dog hair, and dwarven dropkicks, the foul beast was finally laid to rest.

It was the goblin raiders not long after that put paid to that fortress. Great times...

K

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

Well today i have had a LOT of FUN (read, lost many many....many times).  Usually to friggen harpy's (no, not my wife/sister/girlfriend fragging my PC :P).  Since i made that post earlier I have been hit by multi-squads of 3 Harpys.  Literally seconds after I kill off a flock(?) of them, a new appears, flies my moat/wall/etc and lays waste yet again.  So far I am 0/11 (yes you read that right) on living to see harpy fodder..err i mean immigrants arrive, today.  Losing is FUN!

:)
GMcG

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm ]

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »

Yep, harpies are vicious. Individually, they're weak, but they're never alone, and they can fly, which puts paid to the more common defenses. And yes, the instant the last wildlife unit is killed/captured, a new squad is generated.

Try playing on a 2x2 swamp - pretty much any wildlife that shows up will come face to face with your dwarves in a very short amount of time, since there's nowhere to hide.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

RetSpline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Ogres are [EVIL] and have the following biomes:
code:

[BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SAVANNA_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME:SAVANNA_TROPICAL]
   [BIOME:GRASSLAND_TROPICAL]

Enjoy.</STRONG>

I'm not so sure of that, which is odd, because that seems to have come from the raws. One time I had a trio of ogres lay waste to my barely-started fortress, when all I had was 2x2 with mountains and a forest.

That was a fun game. I managed to kill one of the ogres, and probably would've stood a better chance, had my units not charged at them on at a time.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 06:58:00 am »

Once I tried to make an underground city like drow race did in Salvatore's books. I mean, a giant mined cave with buildings in a shape of stalactites and stalagmites. And I have a single tile "bridge" (actually floor) leading from the temple top to the exit on surface.
My fortress was killed by kobolds. Yes, kobolds. 8 kobolds with crossbows, standing on 1-tile bridge near the ceiling of my cave and raining death upon dwarves far at the bottom under them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 07:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm:
<STRONG> Usually to friggen harpy's (no, not my wife/sister/girlfriend fragging my PC :P)</STRONG>

Whoaa. You living with the wife, your sister AND manage to keep a girlfriend??
 ;)

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

Actually, no *raises hands in thanks to the heavens*.  But a girlfriend would be nice.  I will let you know when I can afford a new one  :P  Just bought a house and its kinda empty and all my money getting sucked up by it right now.....

So.......waytoomuchinformation...........

Ummmm..YEAH!  I got all three!  Woot, I am a cool guy (sister) and mack-daddy (wife/girlfriend).  yeah, thats the ticket, that works better  :)

GMcG