Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege bug from previous version fixed?  (Read 705 times)

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
Siege bug from previous version fixed?
« on: December 16, 2015, 10:27:08 pm »

If I recall correctly, there was a bug in 40.xx which caused sieges to never happen on some copies of the game (due to army pathing problems or something, I don't remember very well).

I'd like to ask if this issue has been resolved in 42.03, and if sieges and invasions do indeed happen as expected now. Goblinite was very hard to come by in 40.xx, and I do miss the slaughter-carnage of 34.11.

If this has been stated anywhere in Toady's changelogs, or anywhere else on the forums, I do apologise for my carelessness. Thank you! :)

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege bug from previous version fixed?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 10:38:14 pm »

I've had several large sieges happen in one game. Cave dragons, elk birds, and everything. And in that one I made sure to embark myself between the goblins and the rest of my civ. Or at least make sure I'm the closest one to the goblins.

So yes, it should be fixed.

Even better your sieges won't fall apart anymore (supposedly) when an enemy squad leader is incapacitated.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »

Yes, sieges happen again much less rarely than in 40.x , though there's still the population trigger, not sure if it's 80 as the settings seems to tell (  as dwarf have     [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
 ) , but on my test fort they started to come at the 3rd year of that fort existence.
(trade and wealth pop siege trigger are disabled for dwarves in non-modded game, they're set to 0 in the raw , so gobs only come with your population)

And unlike 40.x , the numbers of enemy troops are good, no more of those 10 gobs "sieging" your big fortress.

But i recommend, if you want to keep some level of challenge to still not use traps (like in 34.11) because what is still like in 40.x is that goblins troops do not train with time, meaning their troops will not have any weaponmaster , only regular and low skilled troops/trolls/animals, that your more and more trained soldiers will have less and less difficulty to destroy (especially after 3/4 years when you'll have several legendary).

Fortunately they're now coming in number.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:44:42 pm by Robsoie »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:49:21 am »

A pathing bug that caused invaders to fail to arrive was fixed, and the fallen squad leader camping one as well, as mentioned.

However, you should still select your embark site with some care, as invaders still may select other targets before you if they're easier to reach, and the invaders still have to exist in numbers to generate an invasion force.