Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Different drakes?  (Read 1859 times)

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
Re: Different drakes?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 04:21:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I remember loading up Masterwork Fortress, which has draconic drakes, and being thoroughly confused when I was ambushed by, what I believed to be, ducks.

It's too bad DF doesn't have drakes as an actual monster running around above ground.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 03:36:57 am »

I'm somewhat confused about therahedwig's comment about wings and pathing. Some titans fly (and are indeed a pain in that they tend to just hover rather than path), so why would dragons be more of a problem? Also, keas are definitely pathing into my fortress in large numbers (caught by the traps, but still).
Would it help flying titan pathing to make them thieving or booze guzzling?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 06:52:52 am »

I'm somewhat confused about therahedwig's comment about wings and pathing. Some titans fly (and are indeed a pain in that they tend to just hover rather than path), so why would dragons be more of a problem? Also, keas are definitely pathing into my fortress in large numbers (caught by the traps, but still).
Would it help flying titan pathing to make them thieving or booze guzzling?

Since the pathing for flying creatures is still pretty shoddy it would make dragons rather anticlimactic if they just dawdled around in the sky chasing ravens rather than actually storming the fort and trying to kill stuff, making them unable to fly bypasses the problem. Keas get around it by being item snatchers, but megabeasts have a different pathing function that doesn't mesh well with flight. Same is true of flying seigers/ambushers, they can get screwed up by the way pathing works for them.

EDIT: I don't think making flying megabeasts thieving or guzzling would help, I'm pretty sure that the megabeast token behaviour (which I think tells them to path to a meeting zone like siegers) overrides thieving and guzzling behaviour.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:54:50 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 [2]