Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sleepy dwarves not heading to bed  (Read 754 times)

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
Sleepy dwarves not heading to bed
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:18:15 am »

I'm having some weirdness in my first fort of 42.03.

For whatever reason, despite all my dwarves having beds of their own, sometimes rather than just going to their bedroom for their weekly snooze they just collapse where they're standing and nap on the floor. This is generating some bad thoughts about the quality of my fortress floors, but more importantly I'd rather not have them collapse out somewhere vulnerable (knowing the dwarven ability to sleep through a killing blow). The one sleepy floor-napper is married, thus sharing a bed, so I'm not sure if this is causing a problem. His wife is not using the bed, but their son is playing make believe on top of it for some reason.

Help?
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Sleepy dwarves not heading to bed
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:44:10 am »

Is he a hunter? They don't seem to ever sleep in their beds, instead choosing to camp out on floors, grass, snow, and then complain about it afterwards.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 01:53:26 am »

My observation is that a dwarf will not go to their bed if anyone stands on top of it. Which would be the case when a child plays in the bed's tile. I regularly place extra beds in family bedrooms, and install some non-assigned beds for communal use.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 03:41:15 am »

Is he a hunter? They don't seem to ever sleep in their beds, instead choosing to camp out on floors, grass, snow, and then complain about it afterwards.
Was an engraver. His wife the presser passed out next to him minutes after I posted the first post. Another furnace operator decided the forge was really comfy. Surprisingly, no negative thoughts to speak of. The wonders of smoothed floors, maybe?

My observation is that a dwarf will not go to their bed if anyone stands on top of it. Which would be the case when a child plays in the bed's tile. I regularly place extra beds in family bedrooms, and install some non-assigned beds for communal use.
This is weird. Weirder still is that all of the children decided to play make belief in their parents' beds rather than the myriad other locations. I always knew those kids were bad news. Except for that one girl who is an expert in almost every single instrument known to dwarf, she seems nice.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.