Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anton Delgado - boy with EB in bad shape, fundraiser for family  (Read 2487 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Anton Delgado - boy with EB in bad shape, fundraiser for family
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:42:57 pm »

Kind of a weird place to post this, but I have been following the story on their facebook page and wanted to get a bit more exposure for it.

Their FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/Help-Anton-142880872427136/

Long story short, the Delgado family adopted Anton after his birth parents kept his twin but abandoned him when they realized he had EB. They brought him home and showed him love and taught him English.

Earlier this year they got a bone marrow transplant to help his condition, but there were complications. Since then he's been battling infection, and now the doctors told the parents what no parent wants to hear - there is nothing else they can do to help their son. So now they are just all hanging out in the hospital loving on him while they can.

As a father of a baby who had to spend a while in the NICU, I have some idea of how hard it is to watch your baby in the hospital. I can't even imagine how devastating it is to know that the doctors have given up all hope. And I know that financial burdens on top of all that just makes it even worse (my son's bill was like 80k, I imagine this boys will be far higher, and insurance doesn't cover every penny).

To help with expenses there is a raffle and a fundraising day this Saturday hosted by some sweet moms who run their own baby store. One of them is hand crafting a triangle quilt (she does good work, my son has one) and giving it out as a raffle prize, and their store is donating 10% of all sales online and in-store on Saturday.

Here is a link to the page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/851714611604886/

And in case that one doesn't work, the store's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/MockingbirdBaby/ (the fundraiser is posted on their events).

Not sure if there are a lot of folks on here with babies, but their store has free shipping anywhere in the US - so even if you aren't local you can redirect some of your purchasing dollars there instead of Amazon this Saturday (they have pretty cool toys for Christmas) and 10% goes to help this sweet family out.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:44:58 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anton Delgado - boy with EB in bad shape, fundraiser for family
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:46:22 pm »

What's EB?

nvm, found it on wiki.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:49:27 pm by smjjames »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 10:21:58 pm »

Didn't think to explain it, sorry. Here is a website that explains it better than I could.

https://ebresearch.org/what-is-eb/
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 11:16:12 am »

Anton passed away last night, just a few hours after I posted this. His life was short, but at least he found a family that loved him.

I'm sure the family is going to have crazy medical and funeral expenses. All the money from their raffle goes to them, and if you win you get a pretty nice baby quilt - you can already buy the tickets. Or just buy from the store throwing the benefit on Saturday, they are supposed to have a bunch of new toys online by then. Wait till Saturday though, that's the day the 10% is donated.