Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck in the Age of Legends?  (Read 1266 times)

aleeterninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuck in the Age of Legends?
« on: January 13, 2016, 12:19:50 am »

I've been going back in between Adventure/Fort mode and wanted to know what besides Semi/Mega Beasts turns the clock into another age? Because I checked my Legends and every semi and mega beasts on my small region. I went around to every necromancer tower and killed all of the inhabitants and there less than a handful of vampires, but there are 73 forgotten beats still roaming the caverns. Besides that the goblin population is under 1000 and most of the goblins has been replaced with Troll fighting Beak Dogs. 

Long story short, why the balls am I stuck in the age of legends when it's nearly the year 1000
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:25:51 am by aleeterninja »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in the Age of Legends?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 12:59:58 am »

You have to punch Gandalf in the beard and then the blue wizards will come back and write a sonet about the unfortunate time a dwarf punched a wizard in the beard. Then an electric guitar will wail loudly on a hilltop and all the beasties will go "oh crap!" and explode. Thus began the golden age.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 03:04:27 am »

If I remember correctly its the number of semi/mega beasts that has the greatest effect on how DF defines an age, particularly the early ones. I think necromancers, vampires and wear beasts also are counted as are probably night trolls. The next age you would likely progress into would be the age of heroes where the last of the great powers and mythical beasts still roam the land. My guess is it's the forgotten beasts that are keeping you in the age of legends.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:47:52 am »

If I remember correctly its the number of semi/mega beasts that has the greatest effect on how DF defines an age, particularly the early ones. I think necromancers, vampires and wear beasts also are counted as are probably night trolls. The next age you would likely progress into would be the age of heroes where the last of the great powers and mythical beasts still roam the land. My guess is it's the forgotten beasts that are keeping you in the age of legends.

It actually goes Myth/Heros/Legends/Golden Age as I recall.

I remember back when vampires and werebeasts were first introduced worlds could enter the "second age of Myth" after going through the usual cycle, often ending on something like the tenth age of Myth/Heros/Legends. It's was/is also possible to have multiple golden ages I believe.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 09:40:49 am »

I remember back when vampires and werebeasts were first introduced worlds could enter the "second age of Myth" after going through the usual cycle, often ending on something like the tenth age of Myth/Heros/Legends. It's was/is also possible to have multiple golden ages I believe.

No it is myth->legends->heroes

Then there are a few others, the wiki has fairly detailed information.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:25:29 am »

As Halnoth mentioned, there is research summarized on the wiki about this.  Powers, Megabeasts, necromancers and cursed individuals (vampires, werebeasts, possibly modded stuff) are tallied at the start of worldgen, and the Ages progress as the count drops 2/3 and 1/3 of that original number.

But necromancers and cursed souls can appear during worldgen and even during play, yet the thresholds themselves don't seem to change.  This can lead to going back to a Second Age of Myth, etc.

In your particular case, the 73 megabeasts were likely a big fraction of the original beastie total.

Your purge of goblins and such can impact the later Ages, but you need to get rid of the megabeasts to see it.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 03:46:31 pm »

No it is myth->legends->heroes

Then there are a few others, the wiki has fairly detailed information.
Ah, right. I always mix that up for some reason.