Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart unloading  (Read 797 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Minecart unloading
« on: December 15, 2015, 01:53:43 am »

I noticed that minecarts have the option to 'give to stockpile' at a designated hauling stop, but I haven't been able to get it to work and the wiki doesn't seem to address that option.  I've used track stops to unload plenty of goods in the past, but I'm trying to do something different this time.  I want to send a minecart from a stockpile with All Stone and deposit into three different stockpiles - one for crafts / masons, one for smelters, and one for jewelers to make cabochons.  Constructed track stops are all-or-nothing, so far as I can tell; am I missing something?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart unloading
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:03:33 am »

I'm guessing here, but the "give to" linking should cause the mine cart (or rather, the route stop) to generate hauling jobs from the mine cart. If so, you might be able to send a mine cart to a non dumping track+route stop, have dorfs haul items from it, and then use the "when empty of desired items" condition to send it onward to the next stop to remove further items. If your destinations are all close to each other it's probably easier to let the cart dump everything and then link from the QS you define at the dump site for further hauling.

If you do try it out, I wouldn't mind to hear if it works.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart unloading
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 06:28:08 am »

I noticed that minecarts have the option to 'give to stockpile' at a designated hauling stop, but I haven't been able to get it to work and the wiki doesn't seem to address that option.  I've used track stops to unload plenty of goods in the past, but I'm trying to do something different this time.  I want to send a minecart from a stockpile with All Stone and deposit into three different stockpiles - one for crafts / masons, one for smelters, and one for jewelers to make cabochons.  Constructed track stops are all-or-nothing, so far as I can tell; am I missing something?

Pretty sure, the stockpile logic is reversed from the common usage.  So, to do what you want to do you have to tell the stop what to keep.  That is if you want to give orthoclase to you magma safe pile at a particular stop you leave your cart desired settings in the stockpile screen the same... But you deselect orthoclase so that the stop knows that is what is being unloaded.
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.