Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upgrading from 40.24 to 42.x  (Read 1073 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upgrading from 40.24 to 42.x
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:09:31 pm »

I've upgraded one of my 40.24 forts to 42.01.

Most things work fine, but I've noticed a few compatability issues.

1) I cannot make instruments.  As far as I can tell, the new instruments are not available (as to be expected), but the old instuments cannot be mde either.  Caravans do sell old-style instruments, but for ridiculous (10s or 100s of thousands of dwarf bucks).
a) If there a way to make the new-style instruments in an unpgraded fort?
b) If I save up for (or steal) an old-style instrument from a caravan, will my dwarves use them?

2) I cannot make books, paper, bookshelves, etc.  (Again, not surprising as my old save won't have the raws for them).  Does this mean libraries will be useless?

3) Are there any other compatibility issues I should be aware of?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading from 40.24 to 42.x
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 04:19:36 pm »

Just guessing here:
1) I'd expect old instruments to clash with new ones for construction, and that's why they can't be made.
a) Probably not, at least not without some serious RAW hacking.
b) Probably not. I'd expect old instruments to lack the properties the new ones have to make them playable. 0.42.01 has a bug that causes dorfs to fail to play instruments anyway. That's fixed in the hours old 0.42.03.

2) Probably. I don't expect caravans to bring either (new style) books or quires/scrolls. I would expect taverns to be rather useless as well.

maqertas

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWIMS_INNATE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 01:15:08 pm »

Perhaps its because the "new" instruments were not generated in this world?

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:41:47 pm »

I think instruments are procedurally generated during world gen, so you won't have them in a transferred world from 40.24

Dunno about scrolls and books.

also, go for 42.03:  it fixes quite a few issues, not least with military equipment.