Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I reduce the number of rivers/streams in world gen?  (Read 801 times)

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I reduce the number of rivers/streams in world gen?
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:26:33 am »

Obviously I have reduced the river start locations to 0 with the preferred river starts at end of gen to 0 as well and I have been fooling around with a lot of different settings
however I still have yet to figure out how I can reduce the crazy amount of rivers/streams that end up in my worlds, I feel they interrupt troop movement and I'd like to rid of rivers for the most part but even with high drainage/low rainfall I am still ending up with crazy amounts of rivers on my maps.

Any help on this? I have been searching the forums for a definitive answer for a while.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: How can I reduce the number of rivers/streams in world gen?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 01:41:13 am »

You could always mod the game so that every entity has    [WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:BRIDGE]
This would fix the troop movement issue, in that pretty much every river would have a way across it. This would prevent you from having a ton of weird world abnormalities and stuff.

Alternatively, I think increasing drainage will get rid of rivers as well. However this will also result in having way more aquifers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:14:26 am by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 11:39:43 am »

It seems like whenever I increase drainage I start getting a TON of rejections.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:28:17 pm »

You need to set the the "minimum number of X drainage tiles" values to 0.

For all three of them. There should be a high, low and med value.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:36:15 am »

Obviously I have reduced the river start locations to 0 with the preferred river starts at end of gen to 0 as well and I have been fooling around with a lot of different settings
however I still have yet to figure out how I can reduce the crazy amount of rivers/streams that end up in my worlds, I feel they interrupt troop movement and I'd like to rid of rivers for the most part but even with high drainage/low rainfall I am still ending up with crazy amounts of rivers on my maps.

Any help on this? I have been searching the forums for a definitive answer for a while.
If you want to have no rivers, set rainfall min/max to zero.

From what I've seen, any value in the "minimum number of x squares" simply increases rejections and repeats until it randomly generates something that matches.  The problem with that approach is that cross platform, worldgen will not be the same, with any rejections (even 1).
So, for myself, I always set those to None/zero and ensure the world generates with no rejections.

Also, if you have a very small elevation change, globally (less than 4 I think) you won't see rivers, but you can get lakes.  short/easy version is: no rain = no rivers.
No rain also means no surface trees or plants.  Even a rain value of 1 will ensure trees and plants, however scarce.

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 01:51:44 pm »

This has helped a good bit guys! I wasn't really able to get rivers where I want them but definitely progress, I'd really like a few major ones, less spider web formations of them.

Certainly helps to work with a medium region and not large -_-