Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Questions From A Guy Who Spends All His Time In DF Playing Adventure Mode  (Read 3172 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions From A Guy Who Spends All His Time In DF Playing Adventure Mode
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »

Enable the fish cleaning and butcher labors on one of them.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 02:34:43 pm »

How close does a butcherable animal need to be to my butcher shop before it counts as nearby?

Or is it that a badger sow doesn't count as butcherable?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:59:03 pm by Potato9999 »

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 03:27:48 pm »

How close does a butcherable animal need to be to my butcher shop before it counts as nearby?

you can only butcher tame animals or dead wild animals. THe best way to get wild animals is to have a hunter with butchering enabled, so that when they bring the corpse back they butcher it right away.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 03:56:08 pm »

you can only butcher tame animals or dead wild animals. THe best way to get wild animals is to have a hunter with butchering enabled, so that when they bring the corpse back they butcher it right away.

But I didn't use a hunter for this. I assigned my woodcutter to a squad and had him go kill the badger with his axe.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »

I've created a stockpile that only accepts refuse, I've changed the options so that dwarves collect refuse from the outside, I've enabled one my dwarves with marksdwarf skill for both hunting and butchering, and not only does he refuse to hunt any of the other badgers on the map, but none my my dwarves are bothering to haul that one badger my axedwarf killed. Why is nobody hauling and why isn't he hunting?

If it helps at all, the dwarf designated for hunting is not "technically" a hunter, he's an armourer. However, he came with a crossbow and is a competent marksdwarf, so I'm trying to get him to hunt.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:47:38 am by Potato9999 »

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:33 am »

[Deleted]
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 11:58:06 am »

I've created a stockpile that only accepts refuse, I've changed the options so that dwarves collect refuse from the outside, I've enabled one my dwarves with marksdwarf skill for both hunting and butchering, and not only does he refuse to hunt any of the other badgers on the map, but none my my dwarves are bothering to haul that one badger my axedwarf killed. Why is nobody hauling and why isn't he hunting?

If it helps at all, the dwarf designated for hunting is not "technically" a hunter, he's an armourer. However, he came with a crossbow and is a competent marksdwarf, so I'm trying to get him to hunt.
it dosnt matter what his profession is so long as he has hunting enabled

if he came with a bow then he SHOULD have a quiver and bolts
though they dont come with many bolts when they do so you may need to make more

find him and then do v-i over him, this shows his inventory
if he dosnt have bolts and a quiver he cant hunt

quivers can be made out of leather at a leather works

bolts are made from metal at a forge or from bone or wood from a craftsdwarves workshop

be sure to check if its a CROSSBOW or a normal bow, those need diffrent ammo
crossbow needs bolts, normal bow needs arrows

also, from your orders screen, do you have "dwarves save corpses" enabled or disabled?
i THINK if you have save enabled they wont put them into a refuse stockpile because they degenerate over time in them

what you can do is make a dumping zone next to your butchers workshop and then dump the badger corpse by doing k-d over the corpse
make sure to reclaim the corpse with k-f once its in the stockpile since anything dumped is automatically forbidden
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 02:04:18 pm »

Why do none of my dwarves want to construct a fishery or butcher's shop? I have six idlers and not a single one of them is bothering to work on building the two workshops, they would rather "go on break" or "be idlers" before they build them.
Do they have Butchery or Fish Cleaning labors turned on? It takes a worker of the appropriate profession to construct a workshop.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 09:53:47 pm »

Be sure that you've enabled the appropriate labors on at last one of your dwarves for each. Butchers shop needs butchery or small animal dissection; fishery needs either fish cleaning or fish dissection. Also make sure the workshops and their designated materials are accessible, and the construction hadn't been suspended due to some event.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 12:12:16 am »

They're probably not hauling the corpse because dwarves don't haul refuse outside by default. You can turn it on by going into the standing orders screen. "o r o" will go to the menu and tell your dwarves to haul refuse outside.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.
Pages: 1 [2]