Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drinking Problems  (Read 1961 times)

PrinzPi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drinking Problems
« on: December 11, 2015, 04:54:57 am »

So my Tavern Keeper just drank himself to death.

He came in with my first migrant wave and with him being a near legendary Potash Maker i thought he would make an excellent Tavern Keeper. After one Month i find him on the floor so i check his health screen that tells me he is fine. Checking him through "View Units" tells me is Nauseous and Winded. He gets up one last time and runs over to the booze Stockpile in the Tavern and drops dead.

Is it possible that he chocked on his own vomit?

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 05:34:32 am »

This is awesome.
If it is, of course.
Is his corpse covered in anything but his vomit? Dusts, liquids, whatever.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

PrinzPi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 05:54:18 am »

No, nothing. Well except vomit. As far as i can remember i had no Cave-Ins with this fort. Because it is pretty new i had no Sieges or FBs so there were no Syndromes or anything like that. The Poor Guy was distracted though because he was "unable to practice a craft". Maybe that had something to do with it.

Nevertheless a very dwarfy death.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:15:21 am »

Daaaaaamn, hed need to drink the whole stockpile to do that.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:52:20 pm »

Are you sure he didn't get into a barfight and got punched in the stomach?  That would cause vomiting.  Check your combat logs.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:00:16 pm »

The same thing happened to me. Nothing in the logs besides the death announcement, nothing in the reports, just a square of vomit where he kicked the bucket. In a room full of witnesses. Definitely alcohol poisoning. It's interesting that it seems to happen to tavern keepers.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 10:43:25 pm »

Most likely because of the way food is handled now. In adventurer mode, drinking a liquid too much causes nausea, it's safe to assume some dwarves may drink excessively and die.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 11:35:34 pm »

Alcoholic beverages cause the inebriation syndrome, of which the raws can be found here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't really understand syndrome that well, but from what's seen alcohol causes personality shifts, erratic behaviour and euphoria in the beginning, which then procedes to dizziness. Continued drinking would lead to nausea with the final effects being unconsciousness and eventually death due to impaired breathing. Since the severity for unconsciousness and asphyxiation are fairly low, you would have to ingest a fair amount in a short period of time to die from it. Out of the civilized races, Dwarves are naturally more resistant to it, followed by humans due to their larger size, then goblins and elves and finally kobolds with the lowest alcohol tolerance.

Suffocation due to choking on vomit isn't actually present, but the way the syndromes are laid out simulates that effect.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 03:23:24 am »

Did he just have a great thirst for the booze or was he sad?
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

PrinzPi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:13:46 pm »

I don't think he was sad. His screen just said he was "distracted" and that was about the worst thing that was on his mind. Maybe he just liked booze. Maybe the Fortress only had booze that he liked and maybe the Tavern-Keeper Job encourages drinking :D

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 04:45:15 pm »

The [SYN_NO_HOSPITAL] tag probably also causes the effects of inebriation to not show up on the health screen.  Yep, your tavern keeper just drank himself to death.

See, kids, alcoholism is bad.  Even if you're a dwarf.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 09:56:43 pm »

I've been losing dwarves in taverns due to fights and alcohol poisoning/vomit suffocation at a pretty alarming rate.  Especially when there are over 80 citizens.

To the point where I'm not sure it's intended behaviour.  But, time will tell.

PrinzPi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 04:20:15 am »

It's a Feature!