Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well i wish that wasn't there  (Read 1569 times)

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well i wish that wasn't there
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

I was jsut startign my apartment complex and jsut out of curiousity, has anyone ever had the problem of a vein running though somewhere they don't want it?

I have a vein of coal going right through my complex coal is very important to me, but I wanted to engrave all the walls and floors so I don't wana mine it out and build up walls, should I just smooth it over or mine it out?

My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Well i wish that wasn't there
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

You have touched upon one of the biggest and hairiest pet peeves of many a fortress designer, myself included...  How you deal with it is up to you, since there's no real way of covering it up again afterwards.

But if it's just room value you're going for, mine out the whole vein and then engrave the inside of it.  The effect is actually kinda cool.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

I myself would dig out the whole vein and then wall over the area, careful not to trap a dwarf inside though.

This is why I prefer to make small apartments and huts above ground and make them easy to defend. Or just make a false cave with floors above them as ceilings.

Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Msus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

Thank god for Tweak.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

I supose I shall mine out the vein and make the majority of it into a dinning or meeting room of some kind.
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

Heh, if you use tweak just make sure that you mess around in a completely unrelated area first, at least until you get used to it causing the next ice age in every tile you edit.

Damn thing froze my engravers  :(

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

This is part of why I don't generally go for symmetrical designs any more. Because face it, what true dwarf would keep digging his square rooms with neat T-junctions when he hits a vein of, well, anything? My sleeping quarters meander, go into random dead ends, and do just about everything they can be to avoid being regular. Hm. Next time I do this I should make them occupy at least two levels, with ramps to let tunnels bypass each other without connecting.

Mind you, the actual working area of the fortress tends to be more utilitarian.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

I ignore all veins and gem clusters when designing my dungeon layout. I figure dwarves would love to see engraved walls of rare and wondrous materials, all polished and worked into things of beauty. There's always plenty more to dig up in the Mines.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>This is part of why I don't generally go for symmetrical designs any more. Because face it, what true dwarf would keep digging his square rooms with neat T-junctions when he hits a vein of, well, anything? My sleeping quarters meander, go into random dead ends, and do just about everything they can be to avoid being regular. Hm. Next time I do this I should make them occupy at least two levels, with ramps to let tunnels bypass each other without connecting.

Mind you, the actual working area of the fortress tends to be more utilitarian.</STRONG>

This begs the question, what kind of a fortress creates the best pathfinding? A more natural style, or a symetrical square one?

Three block wide hallways, or one?

I cannot seem to decide when I make my fortresses, and so everyone uses a different stle of management...

Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

Once I mined out an entire seam of... nickel ore, I forget the actual stone, then dug domiciles off the edges of it.  Made for a very nice-looking design, actually.  In digging one room, I wound up with some fire opals in one wall, and didn't feel like changing the design to mine them out, so I expanded the rest of the room, polished the opals, and made it a noble's room.

I'm thinking about turning an entire vein of kimberlite into another noble's room, too.  Just walling off where I mined into it at first, polishing the entire thing, and designating the room as best I can from it.  There's probably enough area that I could make two rooms.  Naturally the stretch with the diamond floor will be the most valuable.

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 08:46:00 am »

I usually put the king in a large room situated inside a magnetite cluster. Preferably with platinum.
Magma is overrated.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 11:15:00 am »

Rebuild over the odd material with the one of your choice, then use tweak to engrave those tiles.

It's a very handy tool.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

Mine the coal out, and then try to get some magma in there, if you have any, and cool it into obsidian with water.  Then smooth/engrave the obsidian.  It's probably too complicated and risky and time consuming to be worth it, though.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 06:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>Rebuild over the odd material with the one of your choice, then use tweak to engrave those tiles.

It's a very handy tool.</STRONG>

And a very buggy one, unfortunately.

Even if you remember to set the appropriate temperature in the menu it may still freeze your engraver to death just to spite you.