Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GOLD SEAM FAIL LOL  (Read 2032 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
GOLD SEAM FAIL LOL
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Start by digging an underground channel from a volcano to a chasm. Then, discover gold about halfway along the channel. Dig out the seam of gold and get half of it out. Meanwhile, become bored of the slow flow of magma and put together a Dwarf Powered Magma Pumping station to propel the magma much faster. At this point, being excited at the chance to move much more lava, tell the dwarves to start pumping. Watch as a half-full seam of gold melts into nothing. weep.

It's Ok, though, there's still tons of gold in here, just kind of sad to see very, very valuable magma falling into the chasm...

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: GOLD SEAM FAIL LOL
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »

Quick! Build a bauxite wall and mod in golden obsidian!

Nah, that sucks tho. Too bad.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:27:00 am »

Ahh, gold isn't that great. Just as valuable as steel, or only three times better than iron. And it comes in such small quantities, too. Now, if it were lignite or bituminous coal you'd found...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

Why would it matter if it was coal he'd found...? If its being melted by magma then he already has fuel   :p

EDIT: Also, I like gold. Having a room furnished with gold just sounds much more impressive.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Bricktop ]

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

i usually start my metal industry by making golden bins and barrels, then when my smiths got more skill i make furniture ^^
een failing lately?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 05:16:00 am »

Bricktop: Kaboom! Holy crap instant cave!

juckto

• Bay Watcher
  • Allegiance - look it up sometime
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 05:48:00 am »

Just dig out the sides next to the magma channel, haul them away, replace them with walls, and dig out the rest of the seam at leisure.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

That's what I did when I hit coal digging a well before.  Which is only tangentially related, but I like to think I'm contributing to this discussion.   :(
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

Coal is still important on magma maps as it's a requirement for steel production.

Steel takes 2.5 times as many steps to produce as iron does but is worth three times as much. It's one of the best large-scale ways to boost fortress wealth available, since iron and flux tend to be available in large quantities if you have them at all, and a single seam of lignite makes a lot of coke.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

I barely find any gold on any of my maps, but i mostly find tons of platinum, strange? (sorry for being OT)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

Doppel, it probably has to do with where you're embarking. Mountains have a lot more stuff than plains and forests.

Coal also isn't technically necessary for steel production. You just need fuel, which means coal or charcoal. Trees will still suffice.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bricktop:
<STRONG>Why would it matter if it was coal he'd found...? If its being melted by magma then he already has fuel    :p

EDIT: Also, I like gold. Having a room furnished with gold just sounds much more impressive.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Bricktop ]</STRONG>

I personally like the rose gold best. Makes it more kingly looking. As purple is the color of royalty.

Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

I also like gold for those reasons and i try to get as many of it as i can (via traders if i have to). For some reason i dislike aluminium, I know its worth asmuch as platinum and i know its rare but still knowing how much aluminium there is today makes me not want to make anything out of the stuff. (and asfar as i know there isn't anything really special about aluminium anyways, apart from being not heavy)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.