Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Er... is melting broken?  (Read 1180 times)

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Er... is melting broken?
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:05:21 pm »

So I've reclaimed an abandoned worldgen fort. I wasn't paying attention and nicked a whole in my only candy spire, so I've sealed the breach and plan to pump out the magma. One problem, no magma safe metals on this map. Fortunately I have copious amounts of extra iron junk left by my predecessors, an overabundance of iron anvils that can be melted down, and some nickel cages from the caravan.

But whenever I melt anything, wether from the caravan or left in the fort, I get no metal. I should have several bars added up from the fractions, and anvils and cages should produce one each. But I get nothing. Is this a known bug? Or do foreign objects not produce bars when melted?
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Er... is melting broken?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:14:59 pm »

Melting is definitely working. I've melted steel axe blades in the current version and gotten steel bars back.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 04:25:47 pm »

I've got a silver bar from melting a silver statue.  (It wasn't good enough!  Do it again!)  I did it at a magma smelter.  Of course this doesn't prove there are no bugs in melting.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 04:51:20 pm »

If you recovered a worldgen fortress and ordered melting from the manager menu you'll probably have the melting orders spread over all of the gazillion furnaces, and if the stuff melted yield fractional bars you may have fractional bars in each of your furnaces.

I've been melting a fair bit of goblinite with no apparent problems.

Also, candy is magma safe. Screw pumps for magma pumping can also be made from nether-cap and glass, but nether-cap minecarts can NOT be used for magma hauling, as they'll be destroyed.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:25:27 am »

depending on the item, melting cuts the proceeds down to a fraction of a whole bar that stacks up for the next rounding up number
Relevant DF wiki page on melting

The stuff you are melting is being counted up, but due to the item itself it may not be being processed very efficiently. As the wiki states it will also melt down the core component meaning the rest of the composite is lost.