Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project Merkwürdigliebe - DF meets Dr. Strangelove  (Read 844 times)

Molleby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Project Merkwürdigliebe - DF meets Dr. Strangelove
« on: December 09, 2015, 11:12:23 am »

I love Dr. Strangelove (favorite film of all time!) and I love Dwarf Fortress (favorite game of all time!), and I've always though the two would be an interesting match. The ending of Dr. Strangelove seems like a perfect setup for a Cold War themed DF styled gameplay.

Also, JavaScript is playing a larger and larger role in my day job, so to "maximize my skill points", I decided to embark on this project. Best way to get better at something is to play with it. JavaScript and browsers have come a long way and I want to see how far I can push this.

Right now there is barely a gameplay in place: hydroponic farms produce food, that's processed in a kitchen and served to the people, when they are hungry. There is a system for sleeping and when people have nothing to do, they go to the water cooler (should probably be a Coca Cola dispenser instead). I have stuff like pathfinding in place (which was a pain to make work on multiple levels!) and job picking. Scientists research stuff in the lab, but produce no results yet. You can also dig and build a few things. So, this is basically going to be an ongoing learning experience for me, but I hope you will play around with it and provide feedback for improvement and so on.

You can follow my work here:
http://www.merkwurdigliebe.com

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Project Merkwürdigliebe - DF meets Dr. Strangelove
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 11:14:50 am »

Huh, this is interesting. Will it take any pointers from DEFCON? That game did a great job with the atmosphere of a nuclear apocalypse.

Molleby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:29 pm »

Well, I will be trying to recreate the same Cold War atmosphere as in Dr. Strangelove. There is very special tone in that movie, heavy with satire and sexual undertones.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 06:48:28 pm »

What do you have planned for invaders?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Molleby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 12:24:51 am »

The game will have three stages, and the invaders will follow those stages:

1 - The period from the start of the nuclear war (very end of Dr. Strangelove) and until the mine shaft is closed off to the outside world. Will be around 3 months, up until the atmosphere has been completely saturated with radiation and your mine shaft has to be closed off. During this time period, Communist forces will probably make an attempt or two to sabotage or right out destroy your mine shaft project. One of the things about the end of Dr. Strangelove is that the Cold War parties end their race for nuclear armament and begin a race for getting the most mine shafts operational, avoiding a mine shaft gap, so that one side can resurface stronger than the other when the planet is habitable again. So the Communists will try to either destroy or conquer your mine shaft in phase 1.

2 - The holding out period, around 100-200 years. Your mine shaft is completely cut off from the outside world and all forces above ground will slowly die. So this period is more about internal security. An important part of the paranoia of Dr. Strangelove is the fear of saboteurs, and in the game, at the very least 1 of your units will be a Communist infiltrator. Always. Even if only two people are left, one of them will be an infiltrator. You, the player, won't know who it is. But the Communist infiltrator will perform acts of sabotage, murder, espionage, and he (or she) will also recruit more infiltrators. If they become strong enough, the mine shaft will be thrown into civil war.

3 - Radiation levels have fallen to an acceptable level and the outside world can be accessed again. I'm thinking we are moving into a more Fallout-like setting now, where each surviving mine shaft settlement fights for control over resources and perhaps some survivors have held out on the surface and will want to get your mine shafts technology and so on. Maybe the US and Soviet governments still exists, maybe they don't. Will probably be different from game to game. This last phase will probably feel more like a classical DF game, with an underground and above ground environment.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:15:50 am »

I'm PTWing for at least two aspects: cool game idea and developing in JS for browsers.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:16:48 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Molleby

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 01:51:47 am »

Removed non-experimental features from the GUI. You should now only see buttons that more or less work.
Limited building options to those which more or less work.
Added a calendar system in the game loop.
Added a more 1950's/1960's like type writer font. (will do a complete graphical overhaul when I find the proper artist)

I'm going to work some more on the GUI, so that you have more of an idea of what you're doing. Not very fun to do stuff via the console :)

Edit: remember to do a hard refresh if you've visited the site before.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:28:15 am by Molleby »