Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How To Get Long-Term Visitors To Do Something?  (Read 4246 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
How To Get Long-Term Visitors To Do Something?
« on: December 06, 2015, 10:35:43 pm »

I've made a fortress that's mostly just a tavern and have been receiving visitors for a few years. My first long-term residents were some crossbowmen and a human axeman, along with a few bards and poets. Eventually I got a huge poetry troup as well, I believe the total amount is now 18, with three of them being two crossbowmen and the axeman. However, they're not really doing anything anymore. I learned that mercenaries need to be assigned to militia squads to do anything, and aren't independant so I assigned the axeman to my militia squad, right before they ended up becoming the lord of The Group of Furs (which I was actually happy about as they seem quite cool I hope they officially join some day) and just ignored the crossbowmen hoping they would leave because I can't set up ranged squads. However, neither the axeman or the massive set of poets and bards in my tavern are really doing anything. The axeman won't train with the rest of the militia, and even when stationed somewhere does nothing. He also hasn't equipped anything from the designated outfit but that's understandable as they're just a mercenary not a citizen. But there's so many bards and poets, who just do nothing. All they do is socialize and create lag it seems. How are you supposed to get them to do anything?

Also how do you get rid of them? I explored the menus but I can't find how to kick out those useless crossbowmen.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Get Long-Term Visitors To Do Something?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 10:41:25 pm »

When a bard asks to become a long term resident, the petition says that his/her purpose for signing up is to "Entertain citizens and guests" or something like that. That's it. That's what they do. They hang out in the tavern and occasionally perform. There is a more general problem that appointed "performers" don't perform particularly often, but that's as much of an issue with native Dwarves as it is with residents.

I'm not sure why your mercenaries aren't following orders. Mine do.

I don't think it's possible to dismiss a resident, any more than you can tell a migrant dwarf to piss off.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Get Long-Term Visitors To Do Something?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:12:16 pm »

I've had this problem as well, and haven't found a solution. The biggest issue I have with it is that legitimate idlers (i.e., ones that could be doing something useful) get lost in the hordes of idling poets ("20 idlers?! Time for a megaproject! Wait, nvm, they're all just entertainers.") I'm also disappointed that I don't get to watch a massive dance party.

Next fort I'll refuse to allow those derps in.

The good news is that the visiting scholars and scholars-in-residence are actually writing books, and my mercenaries seem quite willing to charge into combat with the rest of the unarmored militia (even after seeing two full squads get cut down.) So it's not like the visitors are entirely useless, just the poets. And really, what did we expect from poets?
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'