Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Quarry bushes  (Read 6184 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry bushes
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 11:52:53 pm »

Yeah, I've been coasting down from 3k food and 3k booze for at least five years with no farming whatsoever...still have over 1k of each. Granted, that's only 20 dwarves, but that also means those same 20 (2, really) dwarves made all that food to last for ages from two small, unfertilized plump helmet plots. I don't understand your food quantity obsession at all. It doesn't even take thought to do what I do on every fort. Just bring two planters at embark, and you're more than solid for the rest of your fort. (And yes, I have in the past played 100, 200-dorf forts, but I got tired of low FPS more recently.)

Plus, the reason I stopped producing food is that so many items begins to drain your FPS a bit. Usually only a problem in forts where other things are already impacting FPS, but still. With DF, it's best to do everything right if you want it to be playable.

Much more useful than vast quantities of food you'll never consume, it would seem to me, is the ludicrous value (and infinite preservation) of prepared meals, which can buy out caravans and keep your dwarves dining like kings, and which quarry bushes are apparently good for - not useless. (If you really wanted to, you could probably buy way more food with this method than you could produce any other way.)

But my point is that if you don't want to do any work at all with regard to food and still have ludicrous quantities, there is a simple answer: plump helmets and forget it. I'm not sure if there's an easier way; maybe eggs are, but they required the research to find that out. Seems like you've already spent more time than you'll save :P

Relevant: https://xkcd.com/1445/

This is in 0.40.24.

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 11:38:53 pm »

No, I mean, working on quarry bushes requires actual work while eggs don't (but they do for just making the egg nests), but after the nests, you don't have to work on them at allll. But you know I am talking about food, making it so i could cook prepared meals right? I don't just have 10k eggs, haha that's dumb, no i cook it all and i mean i only need 4 dedicated dwarves for food and drink, and when my cook gets really good at cooking, I just sell one or two masterwork prepared meals, I'm done, you don't need to plant quarry bushes to buy out caravans. No try my way out, and you'll see how easy it is. All you have to do is put the turkey's in, and you're done, never think about food again, just keep your cook automated, and just worry about something else, like military.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 03:37:39 am »

If the goal is to make the most amount of food with the least amount of dwarf hours so you can have your other dwarves do more useful things then yes, eggs are the way to go. In terms of just farming, you can get almost as much food by booze cooking plump helmet wine as you can quarry bush leaves. Less micro management though. Less micro management than domestic animals in my opinion.

It's also worth mentioning that dwarves only get a positive thought from high quality meals if they have a preference for that food type and I rarely see a dwarf with a preference for something I can get hold of. It's all dingo meat and two grain wheat (cave wheat just isn't the same). They do get a negative thought from eating the same food every day though. I suppose they'll be happy with Turkey eggs on Monday, peacock eggs on Tuesday, and goose eggs on Wednesday. Now if only you could brew eggnog. Or make cocktails with multiple ingredients in a similar way to cooking.
Pages: 1 2 [3]