Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long do you run history for?  (Read 6636 times)

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How long do you run history for?
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:09:37 pm »

With more and more happening during world gen, it seems more prudent than ever to give the history to write itself, so to speak. How long are you guys running your new update worlds for? Do you tend to aim for a particular Age? Is a hundred years or so good enough in this version for a civ to have military, political, scientific, and artistic history, or should we really be stewing them for a thousand?

Also up for discussion, preferences on running shorter world gens to increase chances of running into Megabeasts and Titans. 

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long do you run history for?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:23 pm »

I prefer to handle my fortressess as early on as possible for both FPS reasons and personal preference.

5 years or even 100 - 125 years suits me fine, i enjoy the process of making and shaping things.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:42 pm »

I usually generate to no less than 300 years. Most often right at 300, but never more than 500. Seems to work out alright.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

austinwelser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:59 pm »

anywhere from 125-175 works out pretty well for me, reasonably high amount of fun still to be had yet not so much fun as to be annoying.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:31:17 pm »

As short as possible. Sure, the history is a bit boring, but the saving and loading is much quicker. If I want to stir things up I can roll up an adventurer and lock the fortress behind me before I go.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 10:33:33 pm »

I pick the '125' year option and leave it at that.

I want *some* history for artwork, but I don't want an old world either.

• Dead Civs never invade.  Old worlds more often have these.
  • Old worlds have fewer megabeasts - less fun
  • *Beware it's Deadly Dust!*  Oh dear, our liason has arrived again.  Get the pets penned, and nobody sneeze, we don't want him killing our fort this time.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 10:35:20 pm »

Depends on world size.  For a Medium world (129x129), I've found that a quarter century continues to be optimal in the new version.  It is enough time to allow several generations of activity without killing all the civs & critters, and short enough to make load times bearable.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 12:02:28 am »

Usually not long. 100 years max, but usually between 50-75. I usually play on a craptop, so the lower numbers on everything really makes a difference. I use longer worldgens when I have access to my desktop so that the goblins and others are more invasion-happy, but that isn't a very frequent occurrence.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 10:45:13 am »

200-300. Any longer takes unbearable amounts of time.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 02:23:05 pm »

I go with "Short". Very Short gives no history whatsoever and perhaps leaves too many megabeasts, while any longer than that seems to have a tendency to clog up the world with sites and such.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.