Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Instant cave breach?  (Read 1097 times)

maqertas

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWIMS_INNATE]
    • View Profile
Instant cave breach?
« on: December 05, 2015, 04:20:13 am »

I started a fortress located in the mountains. As soon as the dorfs dug into one of the silt walls, the floor began to flourish with all that colorful moss and stuff. Would that mean that a cavern has been breached before embark? I didn't ever see that happening in the previous versions...

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Instant cave breach?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:16:19 am »

I understand once a cavern is breached at any embark, it breaches for ever embark.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:54:59 am »

I don't think the op is reclaiming the site.  So yeah, somewhere in your mountain is a downward passage exposed to the Caverns.  The only thing I can think of as a cause would be a magma tube.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:11:51 am »

I started a fortress located in the mountains. As soon as the dorfs dug into one of the silt walls, the floor began to flourish with all that colorful moss and stuff. Would that mean that a cavern has been breached before embark? I didn't ever see that happening in the previous versions...

If some part of a cavern you breached previously (on a different embark), overlaps your current embark, you'll start getting spores from that cave right away, even if you don't have a connection to the caverns below yet. (If you're far enough away that you are not on top of the same cave system, you won't get the spores).

This was true in previous versions, as well :).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:13:46 am by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:57:11 am »

Having a connection on the embark is NOT sufficient to get spores in 0.40.X. I've embarked several times on caves which have access to the caverns, and spores haven't been released until I actually breached them myself (I haven't send dorfs down to open up the cavern via the cave, but I assume that would work as well).
I haven't studied the case where two caverns are connected to each other, but I suspect the spores from the lower one are released only when you breach it yourself (by getting the breach message).

I would expect the behavior not to have changed in 0.42.01, but you never know...

Note that this doesn't contradicts what MobRules said.

maqertas

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWIMS_INNATE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:25:13 am »

The thing is, I have not breached the caverns; neither on this embark, nor on any other previous in this world.
So it probably is a pre-generated connection.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 10:36:26 pm »

It might have been easier if your embark has a lot of fluctuating elevation put in there by world gen (basic chance and deliberate tinkering) but yes that is initially odd and actually quite fortunate to pass upon (except for the part where ravenous beasts emerge) for the free grass, harvestables and access.