Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any tips on how to cultivate an orchard of a specific fruiting tree?  (Read 983 times)

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For example if I wanted a nice olive grove for easy oil.
Should I just chop down all other non-olive trees and leave the olive trees alive?
Should I collect all herbs to give more room for olive tree saplings to grow?
Is there a way I can influence where saplings grow or is it all entirely random, do the new saplings grow near existing trees?

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips on how to cultivate an orchard of a specific fruiting tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:45:30 am »

1. This won't effect new saplings, because I'm pretty sure it's just a random chance for saplings that can grow in that biome. It will make it easier to keep track of new trees, though. That way you can chop down undesirables the moment they pop.

2. It certainly won't hurt! And you'll get food and booze out of it.

3. It's pretty random where saplings sprout, so paving over large swatchs of land to force tree growth elsewhere may or may not work. It's worth a try if you have the patience for it. Then it's a matter of culling any tree that grows in the grove that isn't an olive tree. Once you have a nice grove with the amount of trees you'd like, floor over the ground around those trees and bam, oil for forever with no micromanagement after that to keep other trees out.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips on how to cultivate an orchard of a specific fruiting tree?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:18:24 am »

- I think collecting any herbs will free up a tile for new growth. You can get rid of saplings by building a dirt road over them to speed up that process.
- I think saplings are allowed to mature only if they have a free "sky" overhead, i.e. not any branches/leaves from other trees. As trees mature they shadow more ground, but that won't kill already existing trees there.
- Paving to force saplings to grow elsewhere probably doesn't work: it probably just blocks saplings from growing on those tiles. Paving to block growth on undesired tiles works, of course.
- Trampling can kill saplings, so using active means (collection, etc) to get rid of surrounding growth can inadvertently get a desired sapling killed.